Thread: Finish for Pommele Sapele?

Finish for Pommele Sapele?

I'm looking for suggestions on how to best stain/finish pommele sepele. I'm working on a bed, the frame will be cherry, the panels will be pommele sepele. I usually work with Cherry so I'm used to trying to hide the blotching, I'm not sure how best to do the opposite & highlight the figure in the sepele. I like the color, don't think a stain is necessary, but not sure which finishes I should try.

Thanks for the help!

I add a little tint to some tung oil and then seal it with shellac.

Jake,
    I've use quilted sapele on a couple of large frames and I put on a coat of Watco Danish oil, let it dry thoroughly and then topcoat. It really pops the figure in my opinion. I did not have any issues with blotching wiht the sapele.
    If you are going to topcoat with a water base product, you will want to put on a coat of dewaxed shellac(I just use the Zinnser spray shellac) before topcoat. I say that because I like to use the Target brand products(EM6000, etc) and to be safe it is best to use the shellac as a barrier coat between the oil finish and the water based topcoat.
    I have done it successfully without using the shellac in between, but you must leave it for several days to be sure and wipe it down with DNA before your water based topcoat. To me, it is often not worth the wait as the spray shellac barrier coat takes little time to apply and dry.

Jim