Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra 5000 vs. Jointech SmartMiter

Incra 5000 vs. Jointech SmartMiter

I'm considering these two. Any feedback on one vs. the other? I know each of these tools have been discussed before but I wouldn't mind hearing some fresh opinions.

I went to a show and compared them at the demo booths hands-on. I chose the Jointech although I wouldn't hesitate to own the Incra. I have an Incra 1000se miter gauge and like it.
    There are a few things that sold me on the Jointech. First, I preferred the fine adjust for the stop on the Jointech. Second, the scale remains accurate with angle cuts. The Incra must be readjusted (not that big of a deal really). Finally, and probably most importantly, I just preferred the feel of the Jointech.
    Jay St. Peter

I went through a similar decision almost 2 years ago and came up with the Jointech. I too like the fact that the distance stays correct regardless of angle. I would add into your thought process the jess em sliding miter. I didn't think it was a consideration when I purchased but at this point, I might have liked that better for the ease and convenience of having it "on" at all times and not having to deal with slop or play in the miter grooves on my saw.

Smart Miter at my house too. I bought mine 3 years ago. After the move, the first cut cut into the plastic end a little, so it must have gotten bumped in the moving process. I talked to the JoinTech guy last year at the WW show, he said send it in, let them go through it and get it back in specs. Only charge is the shipping there. Now that's taking care of your customers! And I love how it works. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Another vote for the Jointech. My main use is to cut segements for turnings and find it very accurate. I have not tried the Inca.

Another vote for the Jointech though I have not used the other. I have had it for three years and use it often.

Wow, is the decision that easy? No votes for the Incra?

Rich, I've been looking at the Jessem sliding table for a while but I just can't bring myself to make those modifications to my brand new PM2000 fence.

Another Jointech vote from a newbie. Solid piece of equipment and it doesn't go out of square easily. Get the hold down clamp if you go this way. It lets you safely crosscut short pieces. I've crosscut up to 16" wide panels. Between the Jointech and an EZ rail with square, I haven't found the need to make a crosscut sled yet.

Another vote for Jointech.had one for couple years and am very happy with it. Halsey

I have the Incra 5000 it is a great tool. But If the Jessem sliding table was available at the time I would have bought it. The 5000 is a great miter but not so hot on the sled part.

I've had the Smartmiter for three years. Even though it's been banged around, it has held square. I like the fact that when you adjust it to cut an angle other than 90 degrees, you don't have to move the fence back and forth. I also have a couple of Incra 1000's and like them very much. But I have sliced some aluminum off the fences several times when I forgot to make the length adjustment when cutting 45's. I also have an Incra fence on my table saw and one on my router table. For accuracy they can't be beat. The Incra 5000 sounds very good, but I think I'd get a Jessem slider before I would get the Incra.

Smart miter here and I really like it.

If you put the Jessem sliding table on rather than cutting off your fence rail slide it to the right and redrill the holes to fit.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I have the smartmiter and have been very happy with it. However if I were making the decision today I would probably choose the miter express and the 1000se.

Earl

What's the max crosscut on the SmartMiter ?

Is it not ever a problem that when you finish the cut, the cut off end tips and falls to the table?

What about long overhanging pieces?

Of course you could put something the same thickness as the SmartMiter on the table, but that's getting klutzy.

Hmm, how about a bridge over the blade, like a normal sled, but it would be an extendable L-shaped piece that attaches to the SmartMiter movable fence.

Noah,

They (Jointech) make a cut-off extension that is designed to be used just as you describe. A SmartMiter is on my Christmas Wish list.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.