Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incra 5000 vs. Jointech SmartMiter

Jointech does offer a board that goes on the table on the right side of the blade to prevent the cut-off from tipping. However, it is $40, so I just made one from 1/2" mdf and attched a miter slot bar made of an old plastic cutting board. The board just sits there while you make the cut, so the miter slot bar is just to hold it steady in the proper place.

Glen,

The difference is that what I described keeps the cutoff end moving like a sled, although it would get unwieldy if it was made to handle wide boards.

My customer service experience was exactly the opposite. I called Jointech ablut a problem with my sled, and they refused to make good on it. I have also heard customer service complaints about jointech in other threads. I don'r like to unfairly degrade a company, but knowing that others have had a similar experience, I now take every opportunity to publically express my displeasure with Jointech.

That said, the Smart Miter itself, as it has evolved since I got mine (one of the very early ones), seems to be a good product, judging by the responses here.

Terry

Another Jointech owner of @ 2 years. Anytime an absolutely accurate cut is necessary, it goes on the TS. 'Nuf said. (Can't speak of their CS, as I've not had to contact them.)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

For balance, there are happy Incra users.

But I'm also a happy Jointech user. I actually bought a second Jointech and modified it for handling bevel cuts.

Love my Smart Miter. It came with the right side piece for cut offs and I've been very very very happy with it compared to my Incra 5000 which I kept having to re-adjust every frickin time I bumped the long miter arm sticking out past the side of the saw.