Thread: New Member + Picture + Scraper Question

New Member + Picture + Scraper Question

Howdy!

I am new to this forum. I stumbled upon it googling for shop wiring information. At some point in the future I want to wire my garage for a couple of 240V lines and wanted to re-familiarize myself with conduit & such. (I did some electrical installations in the Army in '83.)

Anyway, I love woodworking and this forum has lots of good information and people.

I bought a card scraper, filed, honed, and applied and it works neat. I look forward to cutting back on the sanding. I read that the scraper needs to be re-honed when you're producing mostly dust instead of curls. I got about 50% curls and 50% dust all the time. Is this normal for a scraper?

Finally, since pictures are common I'll put one here of the last table I built. It's a mission end table from a plan. I'm building a walnut sofa table (not mission style) which I'm creating based off the 2nd picture (From FWW magazine). I glued up the top today.

mission_table_web_size.jpg
    sofa_table_quarter.jpg

Have a great weekend!

John Gossett
    Cedar Park Texas
    Last edited by John Gossett; 11-24-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Welcome aboard,

When putting the hook on your card scraper...the bigger the hook(more angle) the more curls. Less hook (less angle) means less aggressive,hence, dust.
    That being said, technique can play a major part, too.
    I have 6-8 scrapers and would be lost without them. Another factor is that I have them in different thicknesses and that makes a difference in the SIZE of the chips, too.
    Anyways, this is a pretty kool place to hang out, so I'll be looking forward to seeing your posts.

Gary K.

Welcome to SMC John. I really like the little craftsman style side table. My wife has been suggesting we build a pair like that for bedside tables.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and projects. You'll find a wealth of friendly helpful information here. Sorry I can't be of much help with the scrapers, I'm still trying to figure mine out. Can't wait to see the second table when it's done.

Kris

scrapers .... when you get mostly dust, its time to rework the scraper. part of it depends on the wood you are working with as well. some scrape better than others. I have a bunch with varying degrees of tooth. don't get to hung up on the whole thing. get it to scrape and go.

Lou

Welcome aboard, John! Fine looking tables!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John, welcome to SMC. Great group here. And the tables are very nice. Keep up the good work.

Thanks to all for the greetings and advice. I'm looking forward to hanging out with you folks.

I'm going to keep at the scraper and see if I can get less dust. I noticed it doesn't take long to get there but it also doesn't take long to fix it up.

So far I've built two of those mission end tables, a microwave table for my mother, a tool box, and several bookcases/cabinets. Oh, yes, and I built a full-wall library. I like the smaller stuff more. The tool box and library can be found at this link:

http://flickr.com/photos/johngoes/sets/1631570/

Oh yes, the 2nd table picture above is from a magazine - I'll post pictures of the walnut version of that table when I get it built.

See you later...

John
    Last edited by John Gossett; 11-25-2006 at 1:40 PM.