Thread: Benchtop vs Stationary planer

Benchtop vs Stationary planer

Thanks for everyones input, but I am even more confused. Maybe it is because the benchtop planers have inproved greatly over the years. The 12 inch Makita I currenty own works ok on soft woods. But from day 1 it was weak. The feed rollers get a little resin on them, and you have to manhandle the piece thru. So when I hear that some of you like the benchtop over a stationary, I cannot understand how that can be. Have the benchtop units gotten that good? For me, If I upgrade, I want to upgrade!!! I would not want to spend the money to buy another benchtop and regret it.

Well, in that case, buy a stationary. My l'il ole DeWalt does me just fine as long as I keep the rollers clean.
    Bill

In some respects, the "benchtop" planers sometimes have some slight advantages over the so-called "stationary" planers. (although a few of the former units are darn heavy and not really portable in the sense you can throw them under one arm to move them) In many cases they can handle thinner material and with their high CPI (cuts per inch), they leave a very nice surface that only requires minimal sanding with a good ROS to remove the residual scalloping that is the nature of a spinning cutter head. The rubber rollers also don't mark the stock when you try to take a "really light" cut like the sierated rollers on many stationary planers can. That said, the induction motor driven stationary planers can handle a lot of rough stock better and at a reduced sound level. (all planers require you wear hearing protection, but the portables with their universal motors running at very high RPM are absolute screamers...especially the DeWalt 735)

I was happy with the Delta 22-560 I used to own before I bought my J/P combo, but I don't have to let my present tool rest during a day of thicknessing rough stock like I did with the smaller, portable machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Merrill,

A lot depends on what your needs are. For my needs, a stationary unit would be wasted (famous last words ) I don't use it enough and when I do it's for smaller, thinner stock. If I was running a lot of stock, I would be going stationary.

Wes

If I was rich, had room and was a better woodworker, I'd have one of each. It took forever to plane a load of 5/4 rough oak and walnut through a DW735. Just not enough HP there. But the finish is much better than a 220V planer and no snipe (usually). For now, my approach is to have the sawmill rough plane the boards one pass on each side, usually to 15/16" thick. They have a 5Hp Grizzly that handles it with ease for $0.30/BF.

Hey Merrill
    Thats what I did , I upgraded to a American made planer (1988 PM 180 )
    Although Its not portable (1600 pnds) ,I didnt ever need a portable.(dont know why you would need a portable) I tuned my planer and fitted it with cabide knives and its the best planer I have ever used, No snipe at all !!
    The only Planers that I have seen that run as good or better are heli heads or the ones that pros tuned in there mills.
    I worked in a Cabinet shop for 5 yrs and my Boss had a Delta portable and and we just never used it ,(he may have thrown it in the Garbage) (No Power)
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

I had a DeWalt Portable

And gave it to my Son-in-Law when I got my Jet 15". With carbide knives it does a much better job on all my hardwoods. Ain't nothing wrong with the Dewalt (80 LB) portable, and I ran several thousand board feet through it. I just like the power and capacity of the larger, stationary planer. And as someone said, they aren't really that portable.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

I would seriously consider a portable if it needed to be portable, that is, if I were using it on a remote job site and needed a small amount of planing.

for a permanent shop, I find permanent machines to be much better.

here is a picture of my 24" italian planer, which works great. it can actually handle material down to 1/4 in thickness. Depending on your room, I would recommend a machine with seperate feed motors. thinner stock goes through the wide belt.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19463

enjoy
    Last edited by lou sansone; 11-25-2006 at 7:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    MAybe it's the technology, maybe its the material being planed. My DeWalt does amazingly well for a lunch-box. I clean the knives, rollers, tables, etc. every so-many hours of use (I know that's not a specific schedule but the tools performance tells me if I've been neglectful.

If the Makita has been weak since day one, it may not be the right tool for what you're doing. A 1 1/4 HP router doesn't do so well in a table but a 3+ HP unit is very comfortable there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler