Thread: 14" Planer upgrade pt1 w/pics

14" Planer upgrade pt1 w/pics

Hello everyone,

I have had this sitting around work for a month or so,

waiting for me to find a chance to bring my planer in from home and install this new Byrd Shelix cutterhead. This is the first one Byrd has made for a General 130, so I hope this goes well.

I finally brought my planer in this week,

First step, drain oil,

and remove dust hood.

I next removed the pulley from the cutterhead and was about to remove the three screws that hold bearing cap to the side of the planer when I noticed this,

Hmmm. The head was larger than my black robbie screwdriver. This is a tool store, I have to have one around somewhere... After 15 minutes of looking I gave up and decided to make one. I don't know what it was that I started with, but we have a bin of them at work, so 5 minutes later on a bench grinder I made a robbie bit that would take out the screw,

Now I was able to take the screws out that hold the bearing cap in place.

I took the gear housing apart so I could take the nut off the end of the shaft that holds a small worm gear in place. I used a tiny puller to get it off,

With the bearing cap screws out and the nut and gear off the other end I was now able to slide the head out of the machine. There was some liberal BFH usage against a block of wood against the end of the shaft to get it started.

I pressed new bearings onto the shaft with a 20 ton hydraulic floor press and installed the head the same way it came out.

Then came the problem that held me up for 45 minutes. I could not get the woodruff key out of the old head. Most people are familiar with a key and keyway on the end of a shaft for a pulley. A small piece of square bar stock engages in a keyway (groove) in both the pulley and the shaft to stop it from free spinning. I usually tap a woodruff key (small semi circle piece of metal) with small hammer to remove it. I hit this key so hard I was worried I was peening it, it would not budge. I ground a cold chisel to a sharp point and drove it into the end of the key and ended up prying it out. I had to file down all the marks I had made in the key and tried to fit it into the new head. Nope wouldn't fit. I spent 10 minutes looking around the shop trying to find another one. I found two, one was too thin and the other was the same size and would not fit either. I spent quite a while filing the key until it finally fit into the shaft,

With the key in place, I could the worm gear back in and reinstall the big bolt that holds everything in,

Install new gasket and reassemble gear box.

Time for an oil change,

Put oil fill and sight plugs back in, reinstall dust hood and button everything up.

Time to fire it up,

Cool.

Take a look at the curly maple board,

Not one bit of tear out. Nice upgrade.

I ran out of time today to do the final modification, that will have to wait until Monday.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Every Neighbourhood has one, in Mine I'm Him.

Cool cutterhead, but you gotta love that machine. You can see why General can charge the $4000.00 sticker price. The worms and worm gears still look brand new. With the new cutterhead that is a real dream machine.

Chris

Wow...thanks for that David! It's good to see someone who knows what they are doing doing it! LOL! I'd still be swearing at that key...at least...if I got that far...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David, you've got me drooling...BIG time! That's the exact same upgrade I intend to do for my 15" Yorkie. 'Course, I'm sure mine will come with its own set of problems, the first being, I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined as you are. Yup, gotta' love that Shelix! Ever since I got one on the jointer, I just about loathe putting the same boards through the planer! Well done.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by chris del
    Cool cutterhead, but you gotta love that machine. You can see why General can charge the $4000.00 sticker price. The worms and worm gears still look brand new. With the new cutterhead that is a real dream machine.
    I am very happy with the upgrade!

I also installed a Wixey digital height gauge a couple of days ago. It has been raining the last few days, so I have not been able to take my planer home yet. I hope to take it home from work on Saturday...

Thanks,

David.

David,

As always......you get things DONE!!! Love your presentations.!

Good report and the Kitchen cabinets look great!

Thanks!