Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any of you miss bein young?

any of you miss bein young?

Me being young stayed up all night and get to go to school! dont you guys miss these days?
    arcone inverter W/ scratch start tig setup
    victor oxy-acetylene torch
    Miller XLIX STARS AND STRIPES
    MILLERMATIC 135
    task force abrasive chopsaw
    Craftsman 263 piece mechanics tool set/chest
    Craftsman 10 inch tablesaw
    Delta ShopMaster belt/disk sander

Enjoy it while you can, you will get old soon enough.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Enjoy it while you can, you will get old soon enough.
    Yup! One day you'll turn around look in the mirror and wonder...."What happened?"
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's a dumb question, of course I miss it.

Nope! Not one bit. I do miss my body being younger, though. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Nope! Not one bit. I do miss my body being younger, though. Jim.
    Indeed. I'll skip the details.

I was working in my shop last night, maybe 6 hours total, sat down and was just looking around seeing things I needed to do to upgrade or just move things around, sat there for 25 minutes or so and I almost feel asleep, then when I stood up, my back was aching from sitting, getting old is hell, and the worst part I am only 42...

At 59, them marathon bouts in the garage are getting almost to painful the next day to do anymore, the arthritis acts up when I'm standing a lot and 8 hours in the garage means the next day will be a battle just to get out of bed in the morning.
    Shop time now is done in spurts, and I do every thing I can sitting down now.
    I used to drive by houses, and see the old guy sitting in the garage with the big door open, and he'd be just sitting there watching the world go by, I now think I know why at least some were doing that.

So, do I miss being young?
    Painfully so.

So much to do, so little time left....

Al

I am young...in all the ways that count.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Someone once wrote, and I paraphrase here, that it is too bad that youth is wasted on the young.

I was at my 30th high school class reunion this past Saturday night. A lot of people were fat and bald. Some have died. Most of the ladies had parts which had moved further south since the last time we were together, although hair color had remarkably stayed the same, or even improved! We had a lot of fun talking about the days of our youth, but I would not ever want to go back.

I could answer your question in more depth, but that would require my violating the terms of service regarding religious beliefs. If you get real curious about that, you can PM me.

Bill

I don't really want to go back to my youth or even my earlier adult years. Frankly, it's a wonder I survived them with some of my less than responsible or careful behavior. On the other hand I wouldn't mind a few less pounds, fewer aches and pains, and a little more hair on top.

I'm a firm believer in the adage that you must grow older, but there's no need to grow up.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Oy veh!...........
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 11-27-2006 at 11:08 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Haha

I tell everyone that I have the mind of a 20 y/o and the body of a 42 y/o and that stinks considering I am only 33...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH
    I don't really want to go back to my youth or even my earlier adult years. Frankly, it's a wonder I survived them with some of my less than responsible or careful behavior.
    Dave,

I'm with you. In fact, you can keep the entire decade from 71 to 80! I enjoy who I am now. I enjoy being married and having all the kids out on their own. I enjoy continuing to learn and I love having enough income to support my hobby, well....most of it anyway. Most of the cares of youth were overblown and really had no long term importance (how insignificant it seems now who I took to a school dance or whether I got to go to a particular concert or hung out on any given Saturday night!) How much time and effort I wasted on the trivial!

Youth is not all it's cracked up to be (I forget who said that). I'm quite happy being in my mid 50's and I'm looking forward to having many very productive and happy years ahead. There is great reward in growing old and having a perspective that spans a lifetime. When I was young I could only base my decisions on 10 or 12 years of experience. Now I have nearly a half a century of experience to guide me.

I like my age and where I am. No thanks, I've no desire to go back.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

What I miss the most is being able to read, and do detailed work especially in low light without having to put on reading glasses. Darned things are always getting dirty, have to clean them many times a day, and I'm lost without them. When I stay up all night these days it's to get a big job done, no fun at all. Enjoy it while you can, the time goes by way too fast.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green