Thread: How do you use a board foot measuring stick

How do you use a board foot measuring stick

A friend of mine has an old measuring tool which seems to be a log board foot measuring tool. The wood portion is about 4 ft long and 1 1/2" square, with each side having several rows of numbres similar to the picture. He would like to learn how it is used.

has anyone came across instructions for this type of tool?

Benjimin.....This link might help explain the use. http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0062.html

If not, you can do a search in google "board foot measuring stick" without the quotes and you will get several sites.

Hope this helps. Rod<---in Appleton, WA

3. That OSU link looks to have what you might need, but if you are googling for more info, use "Biltmore stick" as your search term, as that is what they are typically called. I use one practically every day - feel free to email me directly if you have a specific Q - andyhix at yahoo.com. Also, forestry suppliers, and ben meadows sell them, so it might be worth checking their websites, as they may have instructions available.

does anyone know where I can buy one? I allways wanted one.

everett, I suspect Bailey's has them...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by everett lowell
    does anyone know where I can buy one? I allways wanted one.
    http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?mi=1441

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/tre...re+stick/1325/

regarding my earlier post, both of these places sell a similar tool that THEY call a biltmore stick, but it is significanly more expensive. I'm not sure what the difference is, to be honest. Just get the one in the link.

You will need to determine what log scale (doyle, scribner, or International) is commonly used in your area, so that you buy the right stick. In Southern MI (and OH, and IN, I believe), Doyle is used, but "up north" Scribner is used. Also, it's not uncommon for the gov't agencies to use a different scale than the private sector.

Edit: check this guide out - http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/t0...pdfs/M1441.pdf

The Rxpensive Sticks Are the ones my yard uses

It seems when the sales person gets throught wielding his stick he comes up with a total about 25% more than I did with a simple tape measure. The more expensive stick pays off if you are the seller.
    18th century nut --- Carl

BTW the stick toter is the "tallyman" , also have seen 'em use a complicated lookin chart as well that they carry thru the yard ..

I have had a strange experience with a mill in my area. They sell rough sawn and planed stock. At the time I was looking to buy planed stock. What threw me was when they finished calculating the cost they added 6% for shrinkage. This they explained was after they mill the stock it will shrink up to 6%. My way of thinking is that shrinkage is not my problem. Bought my stock elsewhere. This was a new one to me anyone run into this before?

Greg