Thread: Gift Card Warning

Unhappy Gift Card Warning

Gift Card Warning

Well the crooks have found a way to rob you of your gift card balance. If you buy Gift Cards from a display rack that has various store cards you may become a victim of theft. Crooks are now jotting down the card numbers in the store and then wait a few days and call to see how much of a balance THEY have on the card. Once they find the card is "activated", and then they go online and start shopping. You may want to purchase your card from a customer service person, where they do not have the Gift Cards viewable to the public.

Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Yep, this is a real scam. You can find additional detailed info that will help to protect you from being ripped off by this on the Snopes site: http://www.snopes.com/fraud/sales/giftcard.asp

Mike
    If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

That's good information, and very timely. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I think gift cards are a rip off anyway, especially if there is and "activation" charge.

I still like cash\check best if an actual present is not given.

Also have the person spend the whole thing ASAP because if the place goes bankrupt you are SOL! Just ask the people that were burnt when Woorworkers Wharehouse went out of business. There was almost no notice that they were about to tank. It even caught some of the managers off gaurd as I remember.
    Last edited by Charles McKinley; 11-28-2006 at 10:25 AM.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

One other caution about gift cards...if you get one...use it. Many of them lose value over time as a "service charge".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...