Thread: deal or not deal.....on old lathe

deal or not deal.....on old lathe

I found this for sale on a local classified site. click here Is this a good deal? I know it is old but looks in good condition. Hard to find information on older tools
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Here's another one just like it.

Link to another forum removed.

Sorry Clem.

Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 11-30-2006 at 5:48 PM.

It would say not based on this
    You could buy a new Jet 1442 for about the same price and would get more size capacity both on bed swing and length and a more powerful motor. I do not know anything about the machine mentioned other than what is listed but I would rather get new if I get the same or more capacity/power.
    Mike Vickery

It's a good lathe but fairly limited capacity if you're wanting to turn bowls. If you had a bowl lathe and wanted a good production spindle machine then it would be fairly good. The variable speed mechanism can be very spendy to fix if it breaks - at that point you would probably want a 3-phase motor and a VFD for speed control.

It is a very good well built machine, but it is too much money to pay even though it is very high quality. It is primarily a spindle turning machine and modern lathes are more suitable for bowl turning at a lower price even though their quality may not exactly match that of the older machine.

Bill

I'm going to differ a little on some of the other opinions. I personally think the "Old Iron" lathes are a better deal than some folks think. The Reeves variable speed drive on them is usually better built than some of the newer machines(look at the tool rest and tailstock on that Delta compared to a comparable new Delta or Jet). That one appears to have a new motor but I don't think you'd ever turn anything on that lathe that a 3/4 hp motor wouldn't handle. I like the weight and stability of the older machines and I think they're more durable than something in the $600-1000 range that you could get new. Plus it's a half hour drive from your house so you don't have to figure in shipping or assembley when you get it home. I think I'd try to work them down on the price a little though. I've seen the old Delta school lathes in the $600-700 range but they aren't refurbished as nice as that one.

Also, the head and tailstock on that machine can easily be blocked up to make it a 14" swing.

Take a trip and fire it up and see how smooth it runs then stop into Woodcraft in West Jordan and listen to to the Jet 1442. You'll notice a real difference.

I'm a bit more on the "yes" side too. Although, I'd replace the motor with a good second-hand 2 hp motor....but the 3/4 horse will get you going for quite a while before you feel squeezed by the lack of power.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I've got an old Delta Rockwell (1954) but didn't pay anywhere near that for mine. $150 on and old school surplus sale and a new motor/controller combo for about $400 will get you the same thing with an electronic controller instead of the reeves drive.

I can control the speed down to 0 and the lathe doesn't need to be on to change the speed.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Thanks for the input, I think it is way over priced after hearing from you. Maybe I will email the guy and see how firm his price is.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

John,

I would show up to check it out live with $500 cash and make a "walk away" offer. Look it over and pull out five $100 bills and just say, "will you take this?" Over $500 is too much for this machine.

Delta Lathe

John I purchase one a year ago and paid 550.00 plus with several attachments.I love it.You do have to change speeds with it running.600 would be top dollar for it. At 600, I think you will never look back and it will never loose value like the china built ones.Good luck you wheeler dealer you. CJ Courtney

I'm in agreement with the $500-600 limit on cost. And even at that, you'll likely want to do some, umm...upgrades. It's a good tool. But functionally, as previously stated, originally designed as a spindle lathe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...