Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pole barn versus stick built for shop?

I have a 40 x 50 "attached" pole type construction garage and there are a few things that I would like to point out to you if you decide to use the pole construction. First make sure you are dealing with a company that knows everything there is to know about snow loads in MN. I think there are many more pole sheds that cave in during heavy snows than stick built buildings. Along the same problem of snow loads, if possible have the contractors use screws to put down the roof tin. When the snow pushes down on the tin nail fasteners will pull up and then will no longer seal when the tin goes back down.
    Next, if at all possible put all the doors on the gable ends of a metal roofed building!! When you get a ton of snow sliding off the roof and it falls in front of the doors, it is a shock to the system.
    As for insulation, I'd think about using a spray foam insulation. This will stick to the tin and fill up the openings between the rails and posts and will seal up everything nice and wind proof. Whereas conventional bats will allow wind to blow through the openings from the corrugation. (That "curvy" foam that they install deteriorates and falls out.)
    Another thing I had my contractor do was to drill down all the posts as far as they could reach with their auger truck. Then I had them wrap the posts with plastic to above grade. Then I had them back fill the holes with small pea gravel and sand. Here in Wisconsin I live in a very heavy clay soil. When this stuff heaves it will push poles out of the ground. Back filling with sand and pea gravel the soil will just slide against the poles and not lift them. BTW, before I poured my floor, I had 3 feet of shell rock put in for a base and no re-bar or screen in the cement, but used that money to buy a heaver bag mix of concrete.
    It's a biiiig mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize that you are in a hurry.

Cool

Brian,
    This is a very interesting thread and one I need to read carefully. I'm currently planning on a 24' x 40' shop/garage for my "new" home. Right now I'm leaning very strongly toward getting one built by Tuff Shed. Their garages are as good or better than the garage I presently have attached to my house and the cost is considerably less than a "stick built" structure. This weekend I plan to sit down with one of their sales reps. to see what the actual cost will be in the area where the house is. This might be an option for you as well.

50 days and I'm free!!!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps