Thread: Black spots

Black spots

So I'm minding my own business making a variety of different things but mostly tied up with this box that has me in knots. Too many compound angles.
    #6 individual pieces all with interlocking joints and 24 of them have absolutely no square corners: all compound angles. And they are, of course tiny, so you can't really measure what ya cut.

Any way so I'm messing with this thing and I need to build a goofy lttle miter fence jig for the things so I can set it up like a sineplate.
    Slab of a couple chunks of maple and off I go to the jointer which I had left in the planer mode.

Flip the heavy cast tables down and LO what do I see Black spots!!!

Black spots peppering an area about 6" diameter with no pattern. They appear on the paint as well as my shiny new cast iron.
    Hmmmmmm
    I poke at them, get my glasses, on the paint they are a tad bumpy and will chip off the paint but on the cast iron there is no tell tale bump the cast iron seems stained.

Hmmmmmmm

I look up. SPIDERS. It was spider droppings.

I hate spiders.

They are inside my shop vac now.

I hate spiders.

That'll teach them!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    I hate spiders.

They are inside my shop vac now.

I hate spiders.
    Hehehe, I enjoyed that story. I have a friend that is absolutely paranoid about spiders. She bought herself and my wife a "Bugvac," which is a vacuum that has bug repellent inside. Supposedly, that spider inside your shopvac could have lived, could hatch babies and you could have Arachnaphobia the next time you use your shop vac! Creepier than fiction

Todd

Talk about spiders in the shop vac, a couple weeks ago I found... Eeek! A BLACK WIDOW spider in my shop, with a nice web spun behind my scrap wood pile, and a sac full of eggs!

Sucked into the shop vac, dumped far away from my shop into the woods. Don't know if it's alive or dead, don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon
    Supposedly, that spider inside your shopvac could have lived, could hatch babies and you could have Arachnaphobia the next time you use your shop vac! Creepier than fiction Todd
    Yah but it'd need to find something to eat in there. All those shavings aren't on spidy's menu.
    Besides I fill it up and dump it often enough

Well-placed spiders are not of any concern with me...if they are there...there is food. And generally, the food is something I prefer far less than the arachnids! I do mind when they, umm...decide that the doorway is a good place to hunt...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon
    Supposedly, that spider inside your shopvac could have lived, could hatch babies and you could have Arachnaphobia the next time you use your shop vac! Creepier than fiction

Todd
    Soak a paper towel in alcohol and suck it into the shop vac right before shutting it off. The fumes will kill the spiders and be evaporated and gone by the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson
    Soak a paper towel in alcohol and suck it into the shop vac right before shutting it off. The fumes will kill the spiders and be evaporated and gone by the next day.
    Forgive my ignorance, but....

Alcohol, vacuum, fumes, universal motor, brushes, sparks........BOOM?

What am I missing?
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer
    Forgive my ignorance, but....

Alcohol, vacuum, fumes, universal motor, brushes, sparks........BOOM?

What am I missing?
    You have a point. My vac uses a brushless motor so I didn't think of that possibility. But even so, if the motor is shut off as soon as the payload reached the hopper, the fumes through the motor would not be concentrated enough to be a flamable, much less explosive, mixture. Sort of like the exhausting blowers on our old inboard motorboat. And again after 8 hours or so the remaining fumes will have disipated again to a non dangerous level.

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson
    That sounds like fun. I gotta try that. fill it with saw shavings and pour a quart or three of liquid oxygen first for effect. Then with the alchol rag in the nozzle, stand back about ohh say ummmm 80-feet and plug the extension cord in.

As an ex-firefighter I just have to say to anyone reading this thread; Putting a flammable liquid on a rag and storing the rag on top of sawdust in an enclosed container is NOT a good idea. DON"T do it. This is one of the kind of things that I recall and talk about with my old friends in the department. "Remember the time when we got a call in that garage..............."

That said, if your shop vac quits or you just don't like it anymore and have a WIDE open space outside and have excellent insurance......................................... ................
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown
    Talk about spiders in the shop vac, a couple weeks ago I found... Eeek! A BLACK WIDOW spider in my shop, with a nice web spun behind my scrap wood pile, and a sac full of eggs!

Sucked into the shop vac, dumped far away from my shop into the woods. Don't know if it's alive or dead, don't really care.
    Lived in Northern California for quite a few years. Black Widows were an every day occurrence. Go looking for them at night with a flashlight and a can of "RAID". Black Widow and Brown Recluse are two spiders that need to be killed or removed from anywhere near human habitation, they can be deadly.
    The incidence of Black Widow bites in California decreased as out houses were replaced by indoor plumbing. Thought I would throw that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown

Wow Laurie, I can't imagine what that would be like! I met a person in Georgia once who had been bitten by a Black Widow spider that had been hiding in a lawn chair. It bit her in the back of her thigh, and the wound still looked fresh 3 years after she was bitten!

Keep that watchful eye peeled!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker
    Lived in Northern California for quite a few years. Black Widows were an every day occurrence. Go looking for them at night with a flashlight and a can of "RAID". Black Widow and Brown Recluse are two spiders that need to be killed or removed from anywhere near human habitation, they can be deadly.
    The incidence of Black Widow bites in California decreased as out houses were replaced by indoor plumbing. Thought I would throw that in.
    The taxes (and "surcharges") in NY are a killer, but definitely not many of the spiders! You guys get both!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....