Thread: Bench Dog Hole Placement?

Question Bench Dog Hole Placement?

I just picked up a rock maple workbench top that is 54" x 64" and I am planning on making my first workbench out of it. I plan on using round dog holes and was wondering if there is a standard for dog hole placement?

Blog Entries
    That sounds great. I'm gonna guess; in line with the center of the vice? How thick is the top?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I did mine every six inches with them at 3" near the edge of the top for flexiblity. This was for the length of the bench...and I have three parallel rows. They even line up once I filled in the originals and re-drilled them...

I have a similar setup for the front vice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom, I placed mine 2'' from the egde of the bench ( 2'' to the center of the 3/4'' hole) and about 5'' apart. I'm planning on adding more across the bench from the front vise. hope this helps.?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,

I don't think there is a "standard" for dog hole placement. I assume you are asking how far apart to place them. That really depends on how wide your tail (or end) vise opens. You want to make sure to place the dog holes close enough together so that you can accommodate any length stock without any gaps. If your vise jaw opens 8" and you space your dogs 10" apart, you won't be able to clamp a 9" or 19" or 29" long board between the dogs - or any other board that falls in the gaps your vise won't accomodate. If your dog holes are spaced 8" apart, there are no gaps and you can clamp all board lengths - up to the length of your bench top. For stock 8" long and multiples thereof you will have to crank your end vise wide open. Cranking can be reduced by spacing your dogs closer together. My end vise opens 10 inches. I spaced my dog holes 5" apart, so I should be able to clamp any size stock by opening my end vise no more than half way - much less cranking than if I'd spaced them the full 10" apart.

My $.02. Good luck with your bench.

Hank

Hi,
    I just ran downstairs and I have two rows 10 1/4" on center apart. And placed every 4"

For no particular reason!!!! lol

Gary K.

The spacing between roles of holes

should be less than the net capacity of the vise. E.G, if your vise opens 8", put the holes 7" apart or less. That way there won't be a gap in the board-lengths you can hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson
    should be less than the net capacity of the vise. E.G, if your vise opens 8", put the holes 7" apart or less. That way there won't be a gap in the board-lengths you can hold.
    That is exactly correct!

Quote Originally Posted by everett lowell
    Tom, I placed mine 2'' from the egde of the bench ( 2'' to the center of the 3/4'' hole) and about 5'' apart. I'm planning on adding more across the bench from the front vise. hope this helps.?
    You have a lot more money then I have! I can't afford bench legs like that.

Hi TH: By the way, I seem to remember a "tip" to use a plunge router to make the holes and...tilt them slightly to the front. The theory was that the tilt would compensate for any movement of the dog under pressure. As I recall the method was to put a thin piece of cardboard, think 1/16" under the far edge (the edge away from the vise) of the router when making the hole.

Looking forward to your next report and pics!

All the Best, TH
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.