Thread: Central Machinery Heavy Duty Combination Belt/Disc Sander

Central Machinery Heavy Duty Combination Belt/Disc Sander

I am looking at getting the Central Machinery Heavy Duty Combination Belt/Disc Sander from Harbor Freight Tools ($229.99, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40643).

The price is in my range, and I have Central Machinery Drill Press that is working out great (all my other big tools are Jet).

I know that Harbor Freight tools have a bad rep, and I have a Chicago Electric Cutout Tool from there that was a bad investment.

Does anyone have the Central Machinery Heavy Duty Combination Belt/Disc Sander that can tell me if it is worth it? I am planning to get this for Christmas, around Dec 15th.

Is there a better Belt/Disc Sander out there for under $300 that you would recommend?

Thanks,
    David Genrich
    woodshaper@gmail.com

I've got, what looks like, the next model down. I use it often and it does a very good job for what I use it for. If you're looking for a high quality machine to do a precise job, save your money and get a better one. However, if, like me, you are using it for handwork, where you are relying on your skills, then it will do a good job. It won't set up like the better ones, and it won't stay in tune like the better ones. I bought mine used and I'm very happy with it. Were I to be in the market now, I think I'd spend about $200 more and get a better one. Hope that helps.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

David,
    I'm not sure if my response of much value, but here it is.

I bought a Central Machinery stationary belt/disc combo from HF a long time ago. Perhaps 17 years ago. It was slightly smaller/lighter than the one you are considering.

The machine worked well. It was smooth running. But again, this was a long time ago.

I ended up selling it for an 6x89 edge sander. I did not have the room for both. The edge sander is much more useful to me and I never regreted the decision. However, an edgesander is much more expensive at nearly $600 or more for the non-oscillating type.

I also bought a small Delta 1x42" belt/9" disc combo. This is a wonderful little machine and is fairly inexpensive. The narrow belt really gets into tight places. The benchtop machine is small and light enough to move around.

-Jeff

Changed to Grizzly G1014Z or Delta 31-695

Based on the feedback that I have received, I think the Central Machinery Sander from Harbor Frieght is out. Seems like these two sanders are better, and in the same price range:

Grizzly G1014Z Combination Sander 6" x 48" Belt 9" Disc Z Series
    Price: $275.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G1014Z...631358-2659634

Delta 31-695 6-Inch/9-Inch 1 Horsepower Open Stand Belt/Disc Sander
    Price: $179.01
    http://www.amazon.com/Delta-31-695-6...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I am just not sure which one is better? Suggestions, comments, and help all welcome.
    Thanks,
    David Genrich

I have looked into this type of sander and the Delta would not be my first ( or second choice). The Grizzly is an entirely different machine, much heavier and likely to last much longer. Go the extra bucks and get the Grizzly or something similar. Jet makes one, but it is a hundred dollars more.

CPeter

I was leaning towards the Grizzly since it looks more hefty. Jet of course would be my first choice, but I just can't afford the extra $200.

David...One thing I forgot to mention was belt/disc speed. My previous machine had a disc/belt motor speed of 3450 rpm. I found that this speed was a bit aggressive especially when working with plastics and aluminum.

Grizzly has a combo machine that has an optional 1750 rpm disc/belt motor. I would probably consider this model if I was to buy another machine. However, I have no hands-on experience with this model or speed.

-Jeff

The Delta and Grizzly are a step down from the Central Machine. If you're keeping it in that price range, I would stay with the Central Machine. If you can go more, I would look at the Grizzly 1183. I've looked at all the Grizzly machines and I wouldn't pay more for the Grizz 1014, but the Grizz 1183 is well worth the price.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

David, I went with the Shop Fox W1712 6" x 48"/12" Belt Disc Sander and I could not be happier on this choice, $460.00 well spent. I got tired of messing with belt adjustments I had on my old Delta and speed was a factor for me on this purchase...

Seems like the Shop Fox is on sale for $400

Shop Fox 6" x 10" Combination Sander
    Price: $399.99
    http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...ml/page84.html

This is more than I was thinking of spending, but again, I don't want to have wasted equipment in my 2-car garage shop.

For the price, would it be better to go with the Jet?

JET 6" Belt and 9" Disk Sander, Model JSG-96
    Price: $429.99
    http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4103

Thanks for the assistance!

David Genrich