Thread: NE Jarrah Burl.......near completion, experienced a "minor" inconvenience....

NE Jarrah Burl.......near completion, experienced a "minor" inconvenience....

Hi, as by the title, I am halfway through this burl. As you can see by the photos, it has a NE portion going off of one side...(left or right??)

It is sopping wet, but I sanded and finished it, because I like a warpy natural look on these sorts of forms. The idea is to turn it reeealy thin, with a bit left in the base, and then let it warp to it's content. It is a "genuyne" Jarrah burl, freshly cut the other day....see my wood gloat

Problem assessment:

I am starting the hollowing when I get a beauty of a catch. It broke the foot, not right off, but enough so I can't just continue turning. It was a save of the day however, because prior to turning this guy, I decided my 4 feet of sawdust was deep enough......well almost, anyway, it was around 15" deep...an even layer around the workshop. Well this guy decided he didn't like the chuck, and flew out, right into my newly formed pile of sawdust, Excellent save, not a mark on it. If it had of hit the concrete floor, it would have snapped the wing off....then it would just be "another" But just take a look at that grain!! You poor americanos, with none of this lovely timber(note the use of the

My object of this thread is to see what ideas you guys can come up with for finishing this guy off. It is one of those pieces where you don't just set it aside, and forget about it for a while, it's a "rare gem"

Dimensions, finish, etc:

• W5"xH6"
    • Sanded to 600G
    • Finished with shellawax cream.

All ideas are appreciated, and any criticism......will be accepted as well *sigh*
    Nah, bring every bit of criticism you can muster, I have found in my years of turning, you learn 100 times as much by listening to those who know, then to listen to alllll those flatterers

Enough, I'm sure you've got better things to do

SMC Joash
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, well. Hello Aussie Turner! That is a beautiful piece of wood. I can't suggest a finished design, but you have an excellent beginning. Good to see you sharing with us poor Seppos. We can get Jarrah, but strewth, the cost!

Post finished pix, please.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Glue Block ?

Hey Joash, what a wild looking piece of wood. My only suggestion would be to try mounting a waste block on the lathe and turning a recess into it that the foot of the bowl will fit into snuggly and glue it in place. That is if you have enough of the foot left. It looks from the photos that you might have enough. Just make sure the glue sets completely and use good solid wood for the glue block. This should hold reasonably well (unless you have another major catch ). It's a common technique from the "old days" of faceplate use. Most of us are rather spoiled by our scroll chucks .

Good luck and show us how it comes out!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Joash Boyton
    ...Well this guy decided he didn't like the chuck, and flew out, right into my newly formed pile of sawdust...
    A perfect argument for NEVER, EVER cleaning your shop! I'll at least saw the broom handle off first...

My first thought was that if the piece sheared off and the severed portion is intact, is there any possibility of using CA to re-attach it? I dunno...that could be a little hairy but with ultra-sharp tools you just might succeed.

Since you've already hollowed a substantial portion out, I doubt there is a way to re-mount between centers, unless you had access to one of these guys...
    2400%20Bowl%20pic%20a.jpg

Blog Entries
    Yeah, you don't want to loose that one. I think the waste block idea is a good one. Can you re mount between centers and true up the bottom and glue a waste block to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joash Boyton
    You poor americanos, with none of this lovely timber(note the use of the
    You keep throwing Australian wood gloats in our face... I'm getting a complex
    Isaiah 55:6-7

HI

Another idea that I have used a couple of times and might work.

looking at the pictures you seem to have a nice round rim at the top and some thickness of wood in the bottom. Put a scrap bit of wood on a screw chuck or something and turn a dome that will fit the rim of the piece. Put the bowl on it, using a bit of router matting or similar to protect the bowl and also give better grip, and spin it slowly then stop and make adjustments until you get it running true.

Keeping the tailstock in position you can then turn an internal dovetail to fit your chuck then put your chuck back on and remount the bowl. After finishing the inside you can then reverse it and turn away or fancy up the dovetail then clean up the small piece that the tailstock was on.

To help prevent the bowl drying out while you are doing this wrap the outside in clingfilm, also known as saran wrap.

good luck it looks like it is going to be a wonderful piece.

john

Hi, thanks for alll these lovely replies

I think I'll go ahead and try regluing the foot back on, since it is still hanging on, but it is halfway off. If that fails, I'll put er between centers, and cut the foot off, and glue a waste block on, finish it, and and then afterwards knock the block off, reverse it, and finish off the base. I was thinking of doing that in the first place, but I also like the glueing option as well...

@ Bob, yep, that's me, Auzzie turner

@ Mark. Yeah, I clean my shop up once every 1 or 2 months. I very rarely have visitors telling me to clean up, as everybody sees what comes out, so if he can do it, why bother about the mess??

I think there is enough timber left to put it between centers, I guess I'll find out eh?

@ Sean. Sure don't

@ Johnathon. Yeah....*sigh* absoloutly love this timber, it's grerat, oh well, I'll keep you supplied with lotsa window shopping, to keep ya drooling hehe

@ John. See above^^ I am not going to do anything to stop this drying, I would have taken other measures otherwise.

Yep, I'll keep you informed, and I'll post pics when finished

BTW, We have just finished our school for the year in OZ(we're different to you guys) So now I've got 6 weeks to spend heeeeaps of time on the lathe Sounds great?

Gotta get back to my lathe, you ought to see whats on their at the moment, I'll post pics when finished

Have a great morning, afternoon, evening, I don't think I missed anyone did I??

SMC Joash
    Last edited by Joash Boyton; 12-06-2006 at 7:47 PM.

Toot !!!!!!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Toot?? Toot yours as well!!

Still don't know what that terminology means, anyone help a poor country boy eh??