Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Applying Color Fill to Wood Plaques

Here is an example of bamboo, finished with clear poly before engraving. Color fill in these small areas is done with a thing called a "brush-pik", which looks like a tiny Q-tip, available in hobby shops for model painting. Blending is done by outlining dark colors first, then adding lighter colors like yellow or white in the center areas. Using a clean brush-pik, you softly blend them together. These items are about 1 1/2" x 1/2".

edit: I forgot to mention that I wipe the excess paint off using De-Solve-it, a waterless solvent which removes the oil based paint I use very easily. Goo-Gone would work as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 03-25-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee I did some bamboo around Christmas time and found it hard to engrave, most trouble of any wood I have done. Yours looks wonderful.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill, I just use 40 speed/100 power/400dpi on my 35w. No problems at all. But my favorite wood to engrave is cherry, followed by walnut.

BTW, here is a pic of the brushpiks I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 03-25-2015 at 4:26 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Has anybody tried Minwax Woodfiller?
    Epilog Helix 40 Watt, Very well equipped woodshop

Thank you for the replies guys. Has anyone used acrylic paint out of the rattle can to paint with onto finished wood that is masked? I have a full 24x18" piece of artwork with lots of detail that I think brushing on by hand will take way to long.My current though is I'm going to spray a coat of lacer over the masked engraving first and then add the paint.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watt
    MacBook Pro, VMware, Windows 8.1, CorelDrawX7, AutoCad13, PhotoShop CS6

I use Krylon often. Today though I'll be using an air brush with acrylic paint to fill 60 brief case size plywood boxes. They have a finish on them.

If you have a lot of detail it might be better to use an air brush rather than a rattle can.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

7. Nicely done Julian!

Here's my attempt at color filling a plaque for a customer of mine. I used a relatively inexpensive acrylic paint set and first applied a mask, engraved & then color filled.

Red_Alder_Plaque.jpg
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Kit Dumph View Post
    What type of wood is that? What type of varnish stain did you use?
    That plaque was actually a cheap hardwood breadboard I got off eBay. It had a bit of filer in it. Can't remember the name of the varnish stain I used, but it was some stuff off the shelf at the local DIY store. The dark stain is Rustins. Total material cost including the plaque was under £4.00.