Thread: To Phil Wherever You Are

To Phil Wherever You Are

About six or maybe seven years ago I went to an auction sale on Hwy 22 between London and Strathroy Ontario. It was a cabinet maker who was going out of business. From what I gathered from various people at the auction, he had started out well but when times got a bit hard as they no doubt often do for any small business, he had to supplement his income as a finish carpenter.

Seems there was, and probabaly still is a fair demand for qualified and capable finish carpenters and he found increasingly that he was getting more and more of his income from that, and worse spending more and more of his time doing that and he could not take on any sizable cabinet jobs due to time constraints.

So he decided, perhaps helped in his decision by his creditors, who knows, to sell off the cabinet stuff. He had a home made vacumn press for veneering a lathe he built that had a five foot bed on it, and a fair bit of really nice lumber. It was almost sickening to see a pile of thick cherry go for a quarter of it's real value.

The nice thing was that, there were no antique dealers or casual types there for the most part as there were a number of competing sales that day. So it was mainly die hard woodworkers both amateur and professional and since as a group we seemed to speak the same language a good time was had by all. It was probably the most fun auction I have ever attended.

Now to the subject of the post, I bought a shop made coping saw similar to what Bob Smalser offered a tutorial for on here last week. It was of a nice brown coolur wood, not sure what, and had 1/4 inch band saw blade. I doubt at the time I ever intended to use it, perhaps figured on hanging it on the wall, or something.

Well in my current project I needed to do some coping saw work for the decorative parts of a plinth for a blanket box. I tried, yet again, to do it with a metal thing I bought from Lee Valley with frankly poor results. Then this morning when thinking of Bobs thread I wondered about that saw, and found it and looked it over. The adjusting knobs turn the blade to pretty much any angle you want, so I thought it could not be any worse than what I had already done.

Started the first cut and it was no better, but as I got near the end of the frist cut something clicked inside my head, and I started making sense of this thing, and found I could follow the lines I had done quite easily, amazing, while a rough cut it was remarkably accurate, and cleaned up easily with a rasp and wood file.

So on this saw is carved Phil 85, I assume that being the year he made it. To Phil thanks for the saw and I sincerely wish now, I had paid more than the two dollars I gave, it is really remarkable. It might have been the cabinet maker or maybe a friend of his hard to say now, but if anyone in the London area who reads this knows of a cabinet maker finish carpenter named Phil direct him to this post.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Nice post. Makes me think of all the people that have used some of the tools I have now. Not to start a jihad or anything but I think they would appreciate the tools they used being shined up, repainted, and whatever else needed to make it a respectable tool again. Lets just say "These are my opinions, it's my foot and I'll stick it in my mouth if I want to"...no, I didn't make that up I stole from someone but can't remember who. If you are this unnamed "someone" I apologize.

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.

pics?

Second that.

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.

As soon as I figure outn this whole file adding picture putting in stuff I will do just that. (or when my wife is available to do the insert for me lol)
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Posting photos at SMC is relatively easy: see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25115 for a how-to.

Please note that files must me no larger than about 100kb and I recommend that they also be no wider than 600-700 pixels to avoid forcing folks to scroll their browser windows.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cathey
    Nice post. Makes me think of all the people that have used some of the tools I have now. Not to start a jihad or anything but I think they would appreciate the tools they used being shined up, repainted, and whatever else needed to make it a respectable tool again. Lets just say "These are my opinions, it's my foot and I'll stick it in my mouth if I want to"...no, I didn't make that up I stole from someone but can't remember who. If you are this unnamed "someone" I apologize.

-Ryan C.
    Those are fighting words
    In my hand tool restorations, I make a point of not taking the cosmetics too far.
    I've often mentioned I don't want to cover up the character, skill, and knowledge the owner put in.
    I'm sure the original craftsman would have wanted them used for the intended purpose and not set on a shelf under glass. (they would also like some of those collector prices being paid these days for old rust.)
    I would hope my toyls are respected and cared for better than I did and used to make beautiful, functional things.

PS a little salt?
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-07-2006 at 5:13 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I respect that point of view also I just inherited a love of shiny things from my great-grandfather

-Ryan C.
    -Ryan C.