Thread: Turning horn plugs ...

Turning horn plugs ...

These are what got me started in wood turning in the first place, but with learning to turn bowls, hollow forms, boxes and all of that other "cool" stuff, I'd gotten away from these plugs. I have some orders for five horns to get done by Christmas, so I buckled down to the task. Even after the horns are finished, I still have the engraving to do, which takes most of the time. Here are some pictures of the plugs I'm turning, both for the large end and for the smaller spout. I'm trying to learn how to thread the spout end to make the "York County" horns with a screw off tip, but so far haven't had much luck with my "technique". I'll figure it out eventually, though. I've even talked to Keith about seeing how laser engraving does on a powder horn. Thanks for looking, have fun and be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks, Ron

Thumbs up

Nice work Ron. How bout some pix of the engraving when you get that done?

Bob

Neat. Ron, what are these used for? Why do they need a plug? What goes in them? Are they from cows? Do tell this city-boy.

Todd.

Kind of long reply ...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Neat. Ron, what are these used for? Why do they need a plug? What goes in them? Are they from cows? Do tell this city-boy. Todd.
    Todd, these are cow horn, but I've made powder horns from deer antler, cow bone, turtle shells and almost anything that could be a practical container. They contain the black powder used by Muzzle Loaders for either hunting or target shooting and a lot of people like them for decorations around a fireplace or for a "country" look in their home. The base plug can be strictly ornamental to seal the end, or functional, with a screw out plug which allows the shooter to fill from the large end. The small plug can be as fancy as you want, or just a stick to close the hole, so the powder doesn't fall out! Most have carry straps for over the shoulder, or if they're small, can be carried in your pocket or pouch.
    The fun part about turning the plugs is the unlimited designs you can come up. You usually want to use a hardwood, such as maple, so it will last a long time. I have an original horn from 1840's that is still as solid as ever. You turn a plug to the approximate size of the opening in the horn. Most horns aren't actaully round, but more of an oval shape. Once you get the plug turned, usually around 2 1/2 inches or so, you turn a beveled end to slide into the horn. When the plug is turned to the desired size, you have to boil the horn (and it stinks, believe me) to insert the plug. This softens the horn and allows it to form to the round shape of the plug. When the horn cools, it shrinks around the plug, forming a very tight fit. Seal the seam where the wood and horn meet with bees wax to make it waterprooof, add some nails or pegs to secure the plug to the horn and your're ready to do the engraving.
    Bob, the white horn has an engraving of the Chesapeake Bay and some assorted wildlife found there. It has almost 70 hours of engraving time, each small line all done by hand. My wife told me to do a horn of the Bay, I neededto include a "Croaker" on it. I reminded her I was from Indiana and "what the heck is a croaker? Where I come from, they're frogs." I had to look up a picture to see what it looked like to draw it. Almost all of my work is custom, so I can show people the different plugs types I can turn and put on their horn. I'll show a couple more plugs with some engraved horns soon.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA; 11-07-2003 at 11:14 AM.
    Thanks, Ron