Thread: Some more horn plug projects ...

Some more horn plug projects ...

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I've shown some more examples of turned horn plugs and a sample of the engraving that goes on the horns. I usually turn a couple dozen of these plugs of various sizes at a time, so I can have a supply on hand when I need them. They're quick and easy, just some spindle turning and practicing techniques. I haven't tried to get real fancy yet. I also want to try some finishes like the Hut's Crystal Coat on one to see what it looks like.
    The first horn is a large horn (approximately 18 inches long and three inches around at the base) a lady commissioned to have her old family farmhouse engraved on it, with a walnut base plug and a turned cow horn small plug from the same horn. Sorry the pictures a little blurry. The next is a small primer horn, only five inches long with a maple plug. The next to it is a larger white horn with hearts carved into the spout and maple plugs, Below the primer horn is a buffalo horn with a maple turned plug. The last picture is an engraving I did for my FIL of an english setter he loved, from a photograph.

Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA; 11-07-2003 at 11:40 AM.
    Thanks, Ron

Ron -

Those are really great.

How do you do the engraving? It can't be freehand is it? That's amazing if it is. what a talent
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Beautiful Ron! (Not you, your work) Is the engraving basically the same as scrimshaw? I tried a little of that once and it was easier than I thought it would be. I keep thinking I ought to try it some more.

Bob

Yep ... it's freehand ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sweeney
    Those are really great.

How do you do the engraving? It can't be freehand is it? That's amazing if it is. what a talent
    Tom, yes, all of my engraving is done freehand with a carbide scribe and an exacto knife blade. I'll use a picture for a guide if I'm doing custom work, or I'll use my imagination and knowledge of nature to draw others. I've been doing this for (gasp) 30 years now and can only get better, just like my turning. I like to draw the picture on the horn, put a John Wayne movie on in the background, and start engraving. I hold the horn on a small sandbag on my desk, engrave the lines, ink the lines when done, then use 000 steel wool very, very lightly to smooth the surface, finishing with a light mineral oil wipe to remove any excess ink and'or dust. Some folks like to feel the cut lines, but I like the surface smooth. Thanks for the compliments.

Beautiful Ron! (Not you, your work) Is the engraving basically the same as scrimshaw? I tried a little of that once and it was easier than I thought it would be. I keep thinking I ought to try it some more.

Bob

Bob, some people call engraving a horn scrimshaw, but the purist scrimshanders know scrimshaw is only done on ivory or bone. It's still a lot of satisfaction, no matter what you call it. And, since you've tried it, you know it takes a lot of practice to get good at it. The good thing about doing it on my horns ... if it looks rough, it's "folk art", and if it's a disaster, I sand it off and start over.
    Thanks, Ron

Somewhere in my rendezvous box I have a half finished buffalo horn. Maybe someday I'll get back to it.

I used to rendezvous a lot, but then I got married and had kids, and have not been back to it (yet).

Too many hobbies, too little time.

You do beautiful work!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Thanks, Martin ...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Somewhere in my rendezvous box I have a half finished buffalo horn. Maybe someday I'll get back to it.
    Buffalo horn is beautiful when engraved and filled with white ink! I did one for a friend who wanted a pair of bears fighting. I finished the horn, turned an ebony plug and then buffed it. Man! You couldn't tell where the horn ended and the plug began. I made eight small pegs out of ivory pieces and drilled the horn to insert them. I finished them down smooth and it really set it off. I then engraved the bears, putting white ink in the lines. A final buffing and it was fantastic. Of course this is more than a casual horn, but it looks great in a display case in his office! I love to see horns finished.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Thanks, Ron

Ron, your Horn work is both amazing and beautiful. Very nice combination or your talent.............the engraving work and turning compliment each other nicely. Definitely a gift..............I always admired those who could carve, and make it look as if Jethro Bodine wasn't the artist when the piece was finished! Please post more pictures of the Horn Work, they are a joy to admire. Thanks for sharing your work with us Ron..........look forward to seeing more.

Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
    I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I've shown some more examples of turned horn plugs and a sample of the engraving that goes on the horns. I usually turn a couple dozen of these plugs of various sizes at a time, so I can have a supply on hand when I need them. They're quick and easy, just some spindle turning and practicing techniques. I haven't tried to get real fancy yet. I also want to try some finishes like the Hut's Crystal Coat on one to see what it looks like.
    The first horn is a large horn (approximately 18 inches long and three inches around at the base) a lady commissioned to have her old family farmhouse engraved on it, with a walnut base plug and a turned cow horn small plug from the same horn. Sorry the pictures a little blurry. The next is a small primer horn, only five inches long with a maple plug. The next to it is a larger white horn with hearts carved into the spout and maple plugs, Below the primer horn is a buffalo horn with a maple turned plug. The last picture is an engraving I did for my FIL of an english setter he loved, from a photograph.

Thanks for looking
    Ron, Well Done! Very innovative, as usual. These are museum quality pieces, my friends, and to hold one in your hands will confirm that! Phil
    Philip