Thread: Belt Disc Combo Sander

Belt Disc Combo Sander

Looking to hear what you all think about a good combo belt disc sander. Something with at least a 9 or 10" disc. Needs to be able to adjust the table and use a miter gauge. The table has to be sturdy. The belt part needs to be adjustable also and having a table is a sure plus. Thanks in advance for the replys.
    John T.

I own and somewhat like the G1276 12" disk/6"x48" combo sander that's in my shop. That said, if I were doing it over, I'd buy an edge sander. It would be more in line with what I really need in my shop. To date, I've only used the disk once and that was purely because I didn't want to move the machine out on the floor to have access to the belt...lazy day, it was. Further, the dust collection for the disk is pretty much impossible due to a funky port configuration that is not unusual for this type of machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi John,

I have the Delta "Sanding Center". I've owned it for at least 6 years since new. It's has been great, only problem is the switch failed, but was replaced by Delta. This is a 48" belt w/12" disk unit that is solid/stable even with Delta's mobile base under it. The built in dust collectors do a good job on this unit.

At the time I bought this I was looking at Delta's $1,200 Industrial model. The Sanding Center sold new for half the price. I've since seen this a number of this used for $300 to $350, based on my experience that would be a terrific value.

Unlike most sanding centers lots of options with this unit. You can add a 4" inflatable drum off the opposite side as the 12" disk (this also fits Delta's 18/36" drum sander). It also has a inbuilt circle pivot for something like 24" circles off the 12" disk. This feature works well, I used this many times. I also picked up another Delta accessory for this circle pivot that extends this to something like 6' (this accessory also mounts on the Delta 14" bandsaw).

Although I really like this Sanding Center, another option if you have room & $$$, is a large sanitary oscillating belt sander & a 12" sanding disk.

Hope this helps, jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    That said, if I were doing it over, I'd buy an edge sander. It would be more in line with what I really need in my shop.
    I am in the same boat. I am on the lookout for a small edge sander - one of these days I'll spring for one and replace my combo unit.

Wes

Another vote for an edge sander. Combined with a spindle sander they make an unbeatable pair of machines that will make life in the shop much easier.

Another edge sander vote here. Mine is the most used tool in the shop.

Perry