Thread: Black Walnut Project

Black Walnut Project

I am building a dutch leaf (butterfly) table out of black walnut. Closed it will be 60x60 and open 60x100. I have some 9/4x20+x108 book matched stock. My question, I am concerned about the overall thickness of the material esp being in closed position the proportions of the table will be off. I also hate to turn 4/4 of walnut into dust. Would you recomend resawing the lumber and ending up with two 4/4brds? Could this be a potential disaster releasing stress in the boards? Thoughts, ideas please....

If you decide to resaw these planks, get some help as they will be hard to handle, at best. And, let us know how they come out. When I have resawn woods that are hard to dry, such as white oak and hard maple, I have had a bunch of movement. But on woods that are less difficult to properly dry, I have generally had good results. But, these are quite thick at 9/4, and so the results will need to await the event.
    If you just plane them down, then you will sure have a big pile of shavings.

And, of course, a welcome to SMC is in order as this seems to be your first post.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Or save them for a different project. Hate to see nice wood not maximized to it's fullest.