Thread: router table and table question to build or not to build

Question router table and table question to build or not to build

I have a Porter Cable 1 3/4 hp 11 amp router. I want to know if this is adequate to use in a router table. Is it extremely neccessary to go up to a 2 hp router? Or a 3 hp router? At what size of router bit should I be concerned whether or not my 1 3/4 hp router is adequate? In addition to that, should I make my own router table or buy one? What is your best advise?

You'll need more of a router for many jobs. Look at 15amp routers like the Hitachi. 10-11amp routers have a hard time with raised panel doors and heavy cuts. If your not doing raise panels or door work a 10 amp router will probable be fine for you.

I agree with Marty that a heartier router is a better choice for your table, but you could certainly use the PC690 to get started as long as you keep the size of the cutter under about 1.25" in diameter. Power is only one part of the issue...speed is the other. You really need a VS router for table use since the larger the cutter, the slower you need to swing it.

As to build or buy...I generally recommend build unless you absolutely don't have the time to do so. I was taken to task about this by one of the router table manufacturers not long ago, but stand by that recommendation. Why? I mean no ill to the folks who sell commercial offerings in this space, but feel that this is a fine example of a great shop project that not only lets you customize the design specifically to your needs, but also lets you use your woodworking skills to good effect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Aurelio,

The advice you have already received is dead on, but.............if the 1-3/4 hp router is all you have there is no reason you can't use it until you can get a bigger router. I started out using a 7/8 hp Craftsman with a plywood box for a router table. True, I couldn't take big cuts or use very big bits, but it was much better than trying to do everything with a handheld router. I agree with the others that a big variable speed router is what you should shoot for when you can.

As for building or buying a table, build it. After all, it's just another woodworking project.

Good luck,
    Bob

I built my router table and it was one of my most enjoyable woodworking experiences. I used the NYW original version as my design basis and modified it to add another 4" in height and another row of drawers. I did add a commercial top from Woodhaven since it almost cost less than I would have paid to buy the raw materials. It looks great and I get a feeling of accomplishment every time I use it. I highly recommend this approach.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Thumbs up Thanks to you all! I will build.

Thanks to you all for some wonderful and informative advice. I will definetely build my own router table. If anyone has plans to submit, I would greatly appreciate them. My PC is variable speed and will have to do for now. I will save for a more powerful router that I can use once I get more experience and more daring. In the meantime, I will keep my bit size to a minimum.

Take a look at Norms plans. I built a modified (improved?) version of Norm's that I really enjoy using. I made my own top, but bought the insert and fence.

Bob

I built mine using plans from "Woodworking with the Router" by Hylton and Matlack. It's a great book, and the plans are pretty decent too. I'm really glad I did this vice buying one. No, I didn't really save alot of money, but I did learn a heck of a lot in it's construction, and there is a definite value to that!!

Here's a link to various construction steps in the project:

Router Table Construction Pics

Here's a pic of the completed table:

And a couple of fence shots, plans from "American Woodworker", Feb 02.

Thumbs up sweet money!

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Dennis
    I built mine using plans from "Woodworking with the Router" by Hylton and Matlack. It's a great book, and the plans are pretty decent too. I'm really glad I did this vice buying one. No, I didn't really save alot of money, but I did learn a heck of a lot in it's construction, and there is a definite value to that!!

Here's a link to various construction steps in the project:

Router Table Construction Pics

Here's a pic of the completed table:

And a couple of fence shots, plans from "American Woodworker", Feb 02.

That is one sweet table!