Thread: Floor sanding help needed.

Question Floor sanding help needed.

I'm going to start refinishing a wood floor this weekend and was looking at floor sanders. Nobody around here has one of the RO floor sanders to rent but they do have 12"x18" vibrating ones. Do they work good? I've used one of the drum types and almost had to replace the floor (not the same room). I need to sand all the finish (poly) off that wasn't worn off so I can apply something different. Which grit should I start off with? They start at 36 and go to 120. Any advice is definitely appreciated as I've only tried this once before and it was a nightmare!

Thanks,

Joe

Two words, Joe.

BELT SANDER.

Whether it's an 8" or 12" wide (we've got one of these ), these are the way to go. I know someone who tried one of the vibrating plate type, and I think it took him something like a half hour to do the area where his fridge sat (just to sand). Not good. As for the drum sanders, there is some technique involved in using them, and you need to know how they are set up. They are always set up to go in one direction, that is, after you make a pass, the next pass must always be on the right (or the left, depending on how it is set). Otherwise, you end up with a "sawtooth" floor. But I really like our Super Hummel 12" wide belt sander---feathers both sides, and, at 7.5HP, it takes some finish off in a hurry. I just don't like carrying it around (motor alone weighs over 150 lbs.).

Good luck finding what you need, Joe. I wish you were a little closer so that I could help you out.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Two words, Joe.

BELT SANDER.

Whether it's an 8" or 12" wide (we've got one of these ), these are the way to go. I know someone who tried one of the vibrating plate type, and I think it took him something like a half hour to do the area where his fridge sat (just to sand). Not good. As for the drum sanders, there is some technique involved in using them, and you need to know how they are set up. They are always set up to go in one direction, that is, after you make a pass, the next pass must always be on the right (or the left, depending on how it is set). Otherwise, you end up with a "sawtooth" floor. But I really like our Super Hummel 12" wide belt sander---feathers both sides, and, at 7.5HP, it takes some finish off in a hurry. I just don't like carrying it around (motor alone weighs over 150 lbs.).

Good luck finding what you need, Joe. I wish you were a little closer so that I could help you out.
    Jason,

If I do end up going with the belt sander, is there anything I should know as in technique? Will I still need an edge sander or will it get close to the edges?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, you'll definitely still need an edger. As for starting grits, we usually start with 40, then go 60 and 100 with our belt sander. Then we edge (same grit progression, though I like to do 80 as well in there). Then, depending on what's available to you, you can use a floor machine (the buffer style) with 100 grit screen on it, but I would skip that in your case and just get down on your hands and knees and go at it with an ROS. Go over the whole floor with 100 grit. This will do 2 things for you. One, it will even out the differences in scratches between the edger and the belt sander, and two, it allows you to get down close to the floor (a floor halogen helps here) to look for other misses and defects. A 15x15 room probably takes me a half hour to go over with the ROS.

One thing to keep in mind here. The floor is NOT fine furniture. You'll pull your hair out if you think you can get the same finish quality on that as you would a dining room table (but it will still look good). Enjoy! (I like doing it, even if it can be a PITR).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Joe -

Don't know how far you are from Brunswick, but there's a place there that claims to rent Cherryhill 4 disk ROS floor sanders.

CAR-DAN TRU VALUE
    1733 PEARL RD.
    BRUNSWICK, OH 44212
    Phone: 330.273.3774

Not affiliated, standard disclaimers apply. Might be bogus, too, but Google popped it up.

Good luck,

b

Jason,

Thanks for the tips. I don't know about ENJOYING it but, I will try!

Brad,

I'll give them a call this morning. It's about 1/2hr down Pearl Rd. from me. Hope they have one as I'm not that good with a belt sander and would hate to gouge it.

Thanks all,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    Joe -

Don't know how far you are from Brunswick, but there's a place there that claims to rent Cherryhill 4 disk ROS floor sanders.

CAR-DAN TRU VALUE
    1733 PEARL RD.
    BRUNSWICK, OH 44212
    Phone: 330.273.3774

Not affiliated, standard disclaimers apply. Might be bogus, too, but Google popped it up.

Good luck,

b
    Brad,

Just got off the phone with them and they do have it. Thanks! It may take longer but I'll feel a lot safer using it. BTW, what did you use for your search? I did a Google on it and a million hits came up.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I'm really interested in how the ROS floor sander works for you. I'll second Jason's recomendation to not waste your time with the vibrating unit. We ended up returning it and getting a belt sander. I like to do floors when you can open the doors and windows because the dust collection has been terrible with the units I have rented.

I had My BIL follow me with the shop vac to get the dust the belt sander left on the floor.

What finish are you using? I have had good luck with Varathane Diamond coat, water based.

Good Luck
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Hi Joe,

I'm really interested in how the ROS floor sander works for you. I'll second Jason's recomendation to not waste your time with the vibrating unit. We ended up returning it and getting a belt sander. I like to do floors when you can open the doors and windows because the dust collection has been terrible with the units I have rented.

I had My BIL follow me with the shop vac to get the dust the belt sander left on the floor.

What finish are you using? I have had good luck with Varathane Diamond coat, water based.

Good Luck
    Charles,

I'm doing my DR floor and will have the patio door open with a fan pointing out to help with the dust. (MY BIL stays away from me!! ) I'm using Velvit Oil for the finish. I've used Poly. before but had problems with it, bubbles, smell, etc... I'll take before and after pics and let you know about the ROS type sander. The guy said it isn't very aggressive but should work fine as my floors finish is mostly worn off now. (2 boys, 3 cats and a dog) It may take longer to do but I won't have to worry about gouging the floor. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow morning after I take the boys to school.

Thanks,

Joe

can't remember for sure

joe - i used something like "tool rental random orbit floor sander Ohio" ... i don't remember for sure. i was early and i was pretty thick.

i'd be wary of the "not too aggressive" comment ... depending on the grit you use, there can be some decent amount of material removal (not like a drum sander, but not a vibrating unit, either). if you don't have any real nasty spots in the floor, i'd probably start with 100 grit and see how it goes (not experience talking, just a hunch).

good luck ... and take before and after pix if you don't mind.

i'll second the Varthane recommendation - stuff wears like iron. i know nothing about velvit (sp?) oil.

much luck, and glad i could help,

b