Thread: How to repair chair ???

How to repair chair ???

A friend gave me an oak chair that has an arched back that was steamed bent. At the begining of the arch it has developed a stress crack and I'm looking for ideas for repairing it. It looks like someone tried to use a C clamp to close it but that didn't work because there is too much stress at that point. I took it to a friend that does repairs and he said that he would probably use an epoxy to repair it. I have never used epoxy to repair anything so any ideas about using it, things you should do or shouldn't do, would be appreciated. If someone knows another way to make that type of repair I'm looking for ideas. TIA.

Dave

epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by David Klug
    A friend gave me an oak chair that has an arched back that was steamed bent. At the begining of the arch it has developed a stress crack and I'm looking for ideas for repairing it. It looks like someone tried to use a C clamp to close it but that didn't work because there is too much stress at that point. I took it to a friend that does repairs and he said that he would probably use an epoxy to repair it. I have never used epoxy to repair anything so any ideas about using it, things you should do or shouldn't do, would be appreciated. If someone knows another way to make that type of repair I'm looking for ideas. TIA.

Dave
    Your friend is correct. Epoxy will work on stress points. There are several types of epoxy. Some are clear and some are gray or black. Some cure in 5 minutes and some cure in 24 hours. You must remember that epoxy will not take stain. I've done this many times, so here is your step by step. For small projects like yours, go to your local hardware store and purchase a two part epoxy. It comes in a double sirynge and should say, dries clears. Talk to a salesperson if you can't find it. They all carry it. The diplay has several options. What you want, since you don't have knowlage of epoxy, is a clear when cured epoxy and has a curing time of 1 to 24 hours. This will give a chance to make a mistake and redo. At the same time purchase a small can of denatured alcohol. When you get home try to see if you can open the crack a little bit. Don't force it. Next see if you have a clamp to close the crack. Sometimes a belt like the one that holds your pants up will work as a clamp. Take some masking tape and put it on each side of the crack and also on the top and bottem of the crack. Place this tape as close to the crack as possible without covering up any of the crack. Take the double syringe with the epoxy and squeeze about 1 once on a srape surface. Mix for about 1 minute. It will become cloudy. Gently spread the crack and use a toothpick to place the epoxy in the crack as deep as possible. Use a clamp or belt to squeeze the crack together. Keep it there for 24 hours no matter what the instuctions on the pachage say. Some of the epoxy will ooze out of the crack. Clean it with the denatured alcohol. Clean gently but make sure that you get it as clean as possible. The maskind tape will help from spreading the glue too far on your chair. After you clamp and clean, remove the tape and clean gently one more time. Let sit for 24 hours. The alcohol may melt some of the tape glue on your chair, but it can easily be removed with WD-40 after the epoxy is cured. Hope this helps. If you need more help, write to me on the private message board and I will be more than happy to help.
    A good woodworker never gives up. Try, Try, and Try again and you WILL succeed.