Thread: Dollhouse Furniture Templates

Dollhouse Furniture Templates

Anyone know of templates for cutting dollhouse furniture on the laser?
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Look at wildwood designs or scroll saw patterns. You will have to scan and trace but its a start.

www.wildwooddesigns.com

Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I am also interested in finding ready to go designs for cutting wood. The Laserbuzz product seemed pretty steep... 300 bucks for a disk. One can do a lot of scanning for $300! Also, I would like to find someone that is an artist that can convert a photograph to a black and white graphic that still looks good. I have a few customers that would like this done, and I am not much of an artist!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund
    I am also interested in finding ready to go designs for cutting wood. The Laserbuzz product seemed pretty steep... 300 bucks for a disk. One can do a lot of scanning for $300! Also, I would like to find someone that is an artist that can convert a photograph to a black and white graphic that still looks good. I have a few customers that would like this done, and I am not much of an artist!

Mark
    I thought that LaserBuzz was high as well but everyone raves about the quality of the product. And, if you consider how many drawings you get there is no way you could save money by doing it yourself. For example, the "Sports & Hobbies" collection has 389 images. If it only took you a minute each you would have over 6-1/2 hours of scanning time. Personally, I would rather pay $300 than spend 6-1/2 hours making my own drawings. I bill out my time at $3.00 per minute - what's your rate?

Gary

Furniture Pattern Prices...

Umm, the furniture patern prices don't cost $300. They come with the $50 dollhouse patterns.

Oh, and I too can attest to the quality of Tom's work. He's worth the money. I was recently at a train show with items that had nothing to do with the railroad. Tom's patterns made really good money and I wasn't even there for most of the sales. I had stepped away for half an hour and some friends who knew nothing about laser work collected the money (at full price I might add).

DAK

Hi again... The actual number of images that one makes money from is quite a bit lower than the number of images in the package. So, your costs are a lot higher than the number of images available divided into the cost of the package. Over the years, I have collected a lot of clipart, and most of the money making ones have been the ones I scanned and fixed up.

As for comparisons, Dover Publications has a lot of reasonably priced general purpose artwork, both scannable and on CD.

Mark

A little bit about me... engraver for 30 years, starting with a New Hermes pantograph. Current equipment: 120W Universal laser, 3 Xenetech rotaries, Northwood 5' x 5' CNC router, and a Haas VF4 VMC

Products: Mostly awards for a local university, some parts mfg, and inlaid veneers (also used in awards)

The difference

The difference between Buzz's product and clipart is the fact that Buzz is selling a product. Clipart, in itself, is not a product until you make something out of it.

You can take the Laserbuzz software right out of the box and begin cutting within 5 minutes. I think they are well-worth the package price and from what I've heard, no one has had any trouble recouping their investment rather quickly.

There is definitely benefits to clipart and Laserbuzz's software, but I don't think you can compare the two. It's like comparing a tree and some wood sheets. The tree you can find for free but I think I'd rather buy the wood sheets!

Jim

Ed Newbold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Good
    The difference between Buzz's product and clipart is the fact that Buzz is selling a product. Clipart, in itself, is not a product until you make something out of it.

You can take the Laserbuzz software right out of the box and begin cutting within 5 minutes. I think they are well-worth the package price and from what I've heard, no one has had any trouble recouping their investment rather quickly.

There is definitely benefits to clipart and Laserbuzz's software, but I don't think you can compare the two. It's like comparing a tree and some wood sheets. The tree you can find for free but I think I'd rather buy the wood sheets!

Jim
    Well, folks, I have to toss in my $ .02 also. Tom's designs have made me a LOT of money. As we speak I'm doing a Christmas-oriented Show within the AEP (American Electric Power) building in downtown Columbus, OH, and 99% of the sales I've made so far have been either Tom's MILITARY wall plaques or his DOG Christmas ornaments! It even surprised the heck out of me how many of those dog ornaments we've been selling! I sell them at $5 each (includes free customization for one side only, or for an extra buck customization of both sides) or 3 for $12! Man, talk about hot cakes!

Yesterday, between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM I grossed $410.00. The only other things that were selling were some acrylic Name-icicles (idea came from George) ($4 each or 3 for $11) and some of Tom's picture frame designs (once again, with a dog in the cutout). And it appears we're on track for about the same amount, sales-wise, today.

I wish I had his doll houses ready to market, but I flat ran out of time. They would have made me a bundle. Only thing I can say about LaserBuzz designs is THANK YOU, TOM!

Cheers,
    Last edited by Ed Newbold; 12-15-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Ed:
    Good info! Thanks for sharing it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7