Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly g5959z 12" table saw

from the photos and the manual the new 12 inch machine has some nice design features. it looks like it has a poly v belt, and what seems like twin rods for raise and lower. these are nice design features in a saw.
    lou

Ron,
    Well, I have been using my 5959z for about 9 mo's now and love it. I have the 5 hp and have added several aftermarket to make it an excellent saw. I would have bought the extreme model if it had been out. I currently am running an Incra fence and can't believe the accuracy and repeatability of my cuts. I also use the Incra 3000 miter gage. Guess I like incra stuff I worked with Lee Styron to develop the Megamouth shark guard for the 5959 and it leave's almost no dust on the table for any cut I've made. I also enlarged the cabinet port to 6" for dust control. I had my infinity dadonator stack drilled to 1" by forrest so I wouldn't need to change arbor. I worked hard to get runout on the arbor to 0.000, so why mess with it and introduce something.

The only thing I'm still working on is moving the switch placement. It's a little too far under. I'm thinking of either a knee paddle or mounting under the rails and glueing a BIG button on the off switch.

The only thing I had to get used to is the big thump when I first turn it on.
    The 5hp motor is powerful and I think the belts slap a little. When I first set it up, it was quiet on startup but the whole saw would shutter halfway through spindown. I cranked on the belt tension and no shutter now but now it thumps on startup. I guess I'd rather have the thump then shutter and have waste vibrate into the blade.

Let me know if I can help futher.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.

3. [quote=David Mueller]Ron,
    The only thing I had to get used to is the big thump when I first turn it on.
    quote]

Check the motor pulley set screw/s. Might be loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia
    Check the motor pulley set screw/s. Might be loose.
    Thanks for the idea, checked the set screw and it was tight. The belts look a little weird. One sits in the pully and the top is flush with the pully. The other two are about 1/16 proud of the pully. Not sure this is a problem but I just noticed it. The thump is almost gone without the blade on (WW II) so maybe a blade stiffener may help. Wasn't sure a full kerf needed it as much as a TK blade.

**As a side note, why do you have a ZCI for the 5959 but not for the 5959Z. Catalog says "for 5959, 5959Z and G9957" but when I bought it the precut blade slot is in the wrong place. I called CS and they told me that you don't make one for the 5959Z.
    David Mueller

5. Quote Originally Posted by David Mueller
    Thanks for the idea, checked the set screw and it was tight. The belts look a little weird. One sits in the pully and the top is flush with the pully. The other two are about 1/16 proud of the pully. Not sure this is a problem but I just noticed it. The thump is almost gone without the blade on (WW II) so maybe a blade stiffener may help. Wasn't sure a full kerf needed it as much as a TK blade.

**As a side note, why do you have a ZCI for the 5959 but not for the 5959Z. Catalog says "for 5959, 5959Z and G9957" but when I bought it the precut blade slot is in the wrong place. I called CS and they told me that you don't make one for the 5959Z.
    Sometimes there are two set screws, one on top of each other to prevent the locking one from backing out. I don't know if this saw has that or not.

The zero clearance insert did not fit because one of the saws is a left tilt and the blade position is different. Will have to get on that in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia
    Sometimes there are two set screws, one on top of each other to prevent the locking one from backing out.
    That's a new one. I assume the setscrew just keeps the pulley from sliding off the shaft. The keyway is the key but I'll check again and thanks for checking on the ZCI.
    David Mueller

Quick question Shiraz, when changing to a 10" blade does the gap between the blade and the riving knife increase by an inch, or is there an adjustment on the riving knife to compensate for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Moore
    Rather than just buying all Grizzly stuff (nothing wrong with them though) I would suggest you research each purchase individually. No single manufacturer makes the best product, the best value, the best quality, etc for all of their tools.
    Bingo!!

I won't impugn Grizzly but I'll submit that they are not the end-all-be-all and there are a whole lot of saws on the market that I'd consider before a Griz. Take a long hard look at Felder and MM. Do it before you make a committment. There are really nice used machines on the market too.