Thread: Performax SuperMax 25" dual drum sander

Performax SuperMax 25" dual drum sander

I recently purchased a used perfomax dual drum sander and I have been getting accustomed to using it and have trouble with it burning the wood. It came set up with the polyurethane feed conveyor belt and the material seems to slip on this belt. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this set up and whether or not it is worth changing back to the 100 grit abrasive feed belt. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help with the different type belt BUT. slipping and burning can be caused by too fast a feed, anything over about 35-40 on the feed speed is probably too fast, and depth of cut. Don't expect to take off more than about 6-10 thousandths per pass. Of course that depends on grit and width of stock but you can't take off much at a time
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have the same machine and had the same problems in the beginning. The amount that you try to take off is the biggest part of you problem. Also, keep the drums clean with one of those big erasers. I replace the feed belts and got mine from Industrial Abrasives. The cost was $45 for 2. They have worked good for me.

http://commerce.riverweb.com:8002/contact.html

CPeter

Are you using the poly belt or the standard abrasive one. I just want to know if it is worth the effort to change the conveyor belt or if it is just that I don't quite have it mastered yet.

I am using the abrasive one. I think the abrasive one will give bttr control over thickness. Mine is fitted with a Wixey digital readout.

CPeter

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread but I needed the information and ended up having to call Supermax to get it so thought I'd post it in case in helps someone else out. I need to replace the feed belt on my Performax SuperMax 25" dual drum sander but "someone" threw the old one away without measuring it first. I didn't want to pay the $119 to get the OEM one from SuperMax and knew many people have recommended ordering from Industrial Abrasives. I called Industrial Abrasives and told them what sander I have. Was told they couldn't guarantee the size but told me what they thought it was. I called SuperMax to find out for sure before ordering. The guy I talked to at Supermax asked what size feed rollers my sander has (didn't know there were two different sizes). Mine has the 2" feed rollers so my feed belt size is 23" x 67 1/2". Same size as what Industrial Abrasives told me they thought it was but I felt better finding out for sure first. Two 100 grit feed belts cost $55 shipped and they said I should have them in about 10 - 12 days.

Overfeeding and a too loose conveyor belt are common problems. Also be sure the first drum is doing most of the work. 90% of the burning comes from the finer grit trying to do too much work. 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the wheel is the max cut. Have faith, it takes wrecking a few belts to get a feel for the sweet spot of the machine. Belt tracking is an issue with the machine so if a tear develops in the belt, cut off the torn piece right away to keep it from expanding. Be sure to keep the roller clips tight as well. They will loosen up after a pass of two and need to be reset. Make sure there is no overlap on the rolls. When you get used to it you will like it. A Wixey or Proscale is a great addition. Dave