Thread: planes on Ebay..

planes on Ebay..

I bought a Groz block plane at Rockler, ok but would like to get a Stanley or equal quality on Ebay,etc. Specifically looking for a #4 for larger area planing.
    There are quite a bit available on a regualr basis going for 20-40 bucks. How can I tell one that requires basic cleanup(removing rust, paint and finishing handles,etc.) which I am willing to do vs. repairing or dealing with cracking casting missing parts,etc. which I dont want to spend my time doing.
    I figure I could buy a cheap $40 #4 somehwere, or find a Stanley/Bailey that needs TLC and be much happier.
    Any other input? What to look for?

Thanks

check out flea markets , antique shops, antique shows etc where you can inspect it hands on and decide for yourself

its not a rare item you shouldn't have any trouble finding one locally

Ask a lot of questions of the seller if they dont do a good job of describing the plane. Some dont know what they have, those that do tend to get a better price.
    Scott

I have found that different areas of the country have widely different availability of old planes at flea markets and the like. I found nothing in my area for years and years, but in Northern Wisconsin, it was an embarrassment of riches. I should have bought some of those transitionals I saw up there.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

If you can find one locally, you're more likely to get a better price.

I've bought a few planes off of E-Bay. Only one wasn't quite what was described. Even when you ask, sometimes people don't know what cracked and repaired tote looks like. A couple were actually better than the pictures showed. The planes I've picked up locally were less expensive and I knew exactly what I was buying.

Like others said, when the nicer ones show up on ebay, the bidding has a tendency to get out of hand. Set your max bid once and don't raise it.

Craig

I went to a local flee market a while back not really looking for a plane(not so much into WWing then but of course tools in general) not even a plane in sight. This being in Phoenix area, my guess the local does make a difference.
    As far as Ebay buying, if the seller offers other WWing and planes I would assume he would be able to describe accuratly... if he/she is honest

thanks for the input.

Stay away from drop shops

There is a new category of ebay seller that is pretty uniformly low-quality, the drop shop. They never know anything about what they are selling, they are always slow to respond with inaccurate information.

Many tools like handplanes and such will also be sold by people that buy entire estates then sell the items on ebay. They will be more responsive in general. The best thing to do if you have detailed questions about a tools condition is to ask for specific extra photos to be emailed to you.

-James
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Chris,

I recently bought a #5 from Walt at Brass City records for a whopping $30. It didn't even need any TLC -- looked like Walt had already done the important stuff. He's usually got an assortment of #4s priced $30-$45. Several people here ahve done business with him and been pretty happy with the deals.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I don't know how Phoenix is, but here in Texas, hand tools are next to impossible to find at flea markets or garage sales. East coast and Northern Midwest (Wisconsin/Minnesota is what I'm familiar with) is a garage sale gold mine.

Regarding Ebay, I've had good luck w/ the descriptions - generally they are pretty accurate. Check out the reviews of the sellers and you get a good idea how how reputable the seller is. Read the negative remarks, not so much the positive.

Also, if you really get a decent #4 for $40 or less, I think you're doing good. When i was watching email for planes, it seemed like the last minute the price would go up 1.5-2x. It tooks a lot of auctions and a lot of time to get a good price on any that looked any good.

Good luck!

Perry

No.4

I have a Stanley No.4 WW II model I will sell for $25.00 plus shipping . Its sole is flat and cutter is long and sharp . I like to use the WWII models myself because the casting is thick and its a bit heavier than other No.4's . I can send pictures if you would like. I would also check Walt at brass city. His prices are fair and his planes are nice. If you buy on ebay ask a lot of questions sometimes you end up with a welded up piece of junk or rust.