Thread: Need information about new cordless drill

Need information about new cordless drill

Hello,
    I received an early Christmas present of a Bob Vila 14.4 volt cordless drill (with charger and batteries). I haven’t opened the package yet, because I wanted to find out whether anyone on the forum has seen or used this drill. I’d like to get some opinions as to whether the drill has enough power to drive screws (let’s say securing two pieces of 3 /4 inch plywood together). As far as I can determine, the Home Shopping Network is the only place that sells Bob Vila tools, so I’m probably stuck as far as my being able to exchange it at any local store.
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt
    Hello,
    I received an early Christmas present of a Bob Vila 14.4 volt cordless drill (with charger and batteries). I haven’t opened the package yet, because I wanted to find out whether anyone on the forum has seen or used this drill. I’d like to get some opinions as to whether the drill has enough power to drive screws (let’s say securing two pieces of 3 /4 inch plywood together). As far as I can determine, the Home Shopping Network is the only place that sells Bob Vila tools, so I’m probably stuck as far as my being able to exchange it at any local store.
    Louis
    I don't know about the Bob Vila drill but I had a 14.4 Makita that I used to drive over 5000 three inch deck screws and is still working fine.
    David B

Blog Entries
    If it is a Craftsman I wouldn't hope for long battery life from my experience. I have an 18v that has gone through both batts. In contract my Makita and DeWalt (both 5+ years old) are still going. As far as power, that should not be a problem. A recent mag article found 12v drills to be adequate for most home shop users, even the aggressive ones.

P.s. Mine are 9.6v
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler