Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3d Engraving - is it worth it? Do you use it?

Just a thought here, but rather than giving separate, mapped contours different power settings, why not just number and color them as to their depths- 1 the deepest, 15 (or so) the shallowest. Color each countour differently, and line them all up in order in the software's color map. Give them ALL the same power and speed settings, which you'll need to determine --

then just do this: engrave color 1... then engrave color 1 + color 2... then engrave 1 + 2 + 3... then 1 + 2 + 3 + 4... etc etc...

I tried this once for 4 colors, MY headache was in separating the 4 colors -- but it worked. Once you get the speed and power dialed in so each cut depth is how you want it, should work...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Like others have said 3d engraving is more of a cool factor, We used it once when we first tested our machines and never used it again. It really just takes to long to complete to make it remotely profitable. If your looking to make 3d engravings than a cnc router would be the way to go - alot faster and the programs out there make it pretty simple to do. My routers will run circles around my lasers when it comes to 3d engraving.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Thanks Kev,

What I am trying to do is do max resolution depth engraving of the contours to accurate scale. The details I am getting are great but as you stated, separating the depths is tricky. As for the powers they seem to be non linear so I adjust both the speed and power to get each level to do what I want it to. Also each level is grey scale in order to maintain detail. i.e. it's not just a solid, flat engrave. Right now I am trying to simplify by getting accurate data from USGS because even though the method is working it is Verry time consuming. The reason being that the data is displayed in JPG format or PDF and contour lines that may have been intended to be of one color are condensed and result in darker, which means deeper and aren't accurate. What I do then is color the questionable areas to match the depth adjacent to them.....one after another after another!

So, I will get back to the thread as I simplify it.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

What kind of detail can you get?
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

This is a 3d I did to see how it worked. details ok but could be betterIMG_20170907_185230654 (Copy).jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Looks nice Bert. So what you really need is some sort of program that assigns depth to a shade in a gray scale image.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Probably right Bill but don't think I'll be doing anymore 3d this is a 12 x 12" and took over 4 hours to do. Just wanted to try it and see what happens, now I know LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander