Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eye Protection with RX built in

AAA discount at Lenscrafters is also good when you need glasses made up...there is likely a similar deal for AARP if that applies, but I fortunately have not quite attained that privilege. Yet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dewey
    http://www.rx-safety.com/

They'll send you frames to try on before they fill your RX. They were much cheaper than my local optomitrist - even if I supplied the frames & just had them do the lense work.

Regarding protection there is a spec ANSI Z87.1-2003 that covers how well they need to protect your eyes - (wrap around design or side shields etc).
    Do you know how much the lenses cost? I went to Lens Crafters and the frames with side shields were not that bad but the lenses costed a lot.

I've done a little investigation on this. I plan to buy a pair of the WileyX in January when insurance will pay ($35 out the door!!) I will get the WileyX with a polycarbonate lense. VSP insurance will pay for transitions coating which gives me photo-chromatic and scratch coat.

I mountain bike and ski and will also use these glasses for low light use when not wearing goggles. I particularly like there is a non-bulky foam surrounding the lense which fits very close to my face, closer than my over glasses protection.

To be official safety glasses, they have to have Z87 stamped on the frame and have a safety lense. A safety lense must be poly carbonate and have a 3mm center thickness. Standard lenses are 2.2mm.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    I am unfortuantely an eyeglass wearer and have been for over 30 years. I force myself to put on my protective goggles over my regular eyeglasses when using the router, table saw, etc.
    In the last decade things have changed.
    Every pair of glasses you buy has to have an impact rating of some kind and is a safety glass. Most all are eyeglasses polycarbonate which standing alone is the impact resistant material used in any "rated" safety glass.

Hi Glenn,

If you currently have lenses in your glasses that were described at purchase as "light weight" or plastic or such... you have polycarbonate lenes. And, all polycarbonate lenses will meet basic requirements for strength. However, glasses are very poor protectors of your face and eyes. I would suggest considering a flip down face shield; cheap, available at any borg and the best safety device for the money.

I've had my last 3 sets made by Sears and have been extremely pleased with them. I got the "Occupational grind", meaning tri-focals. The lower grind is for reading, the center grind for normal distances and the upper for use with the computer and viewing the high-mounted navigation and electronic equipment on my boat. I did not get blended lenses because I like the distinct lines.

All have been safety lenses and came with side-shields. My latest set has the non-glare coating which allows me to use them at night with no difficulty.

Just a suggested alternate source.
    Carry on, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    In the last decade things have changed.
    Every pair of glasses you buy has to have an impact rating of some kind and is a safety glass. Most all are eyeglasses polycarbonate which standing alone is the impact resistant material used in any "rated" safety glass.
    I'm not sure this is correct, or at least you have to be careful when you say safety glass. To be rated an ANSI safety lense, it needs to pass a drop ball test performed by the institute; it's not simply using a type of material. Just as important, these lenses need be used in conjunction with an ANSI rated frame that can withstand impacts and allow your super strong lenses to smash into your eyes when a projectile hits them.

It took me a while to find a pair of RX frames and lenses for work that were ANSI rated (I have to wear them for our company safety policy), but also weren't styled in the 20's. I ordered the WileyX Romer II's and got the lenses cut at my optometrist. My optometrist liked the WileyX's so much they now stock them.

Just make sure you get something that is comforatable enough to acutally wear!