Thread: router table...To sell or not to sell????

router table...To sell or not to sell????

I am trying to create more space in my shop and one possible solution would be to replace the my Bosch RA-1180 router table and stand with a QC or shopmade router table extension. Problem is the $ right now. I dont use it alot, and have the chance to pick up a 20" industrial drill press which I would use alot more. what would you do?

Here's the question, anyone out there have any experience/thoughts on the general concept of the router wing setups? advantages/disadvantages? any input would be helpful!

I'm in the same situation. I sold my router table last weekend. The funds will go towards a Quality Grinding table extension. My router table was rather large. The space freed up will make room for a combo disc/belt sander and wood/metal bandsaw I purchased at an auction. With those purchases, something had to go.

Kurt

Putting the router table in your table saw wing is a great space saver with minimal downside. A free standing unit definitely has some storage, size, and DC advantages but a router table wing can be very functional, and takes up a lot less space.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the benchdog setup in my table saw that I like very well. If I had a large shop I would have a Norm type table instead.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I think the other guys pretty much listed the pros and cons but from what you say I would get the drill press if thats what I really needed more than a router table.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

If I went with the wing, the issue is, I have to build it myself or have QC build it b/c my Jet Deluxe is 29" deep, not the typ 27". At least I don't know of anyone making one to fit it. One of the big concerns about the table wing extension is the dust collection. Obviously I woulld have to have a different fence for the router side right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    If I went with the wing, the issue is, I have to build it myself or have QC build it b/c my Jet Deluxe is 29" deep, not the typ 27". At least I don't know of anyone making one to fit it. One of the big concerns about the table wing extension is the dust collection. Obviously I woulld have to have a different fence for the router side right?
    Not really, when I had a router in my TS wing I made a fence that just slipped over the Bies fence. It was fully adjustable and had DC too. It was held in place with a couple of bolts and knobs to lock it in place. I made a box with a hinged door that enclosed the router and mounted it under the wing for additional DC. Worked great I just got tired of my TS being tied up with the router and vice versa. That was my biggest gripe with the whole setup.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Sell it and go with the extension. It will save you the grief you are having over needed space = happiness. Can't put a price on that.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-11-2009 at 1:25 PM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Not sure what you do, but I use my router/ts extension far more than I do my drill press. I do have a mortiser though.

Jay - do to space concerns in my garage I have never had a stand alone router table on the three TS's I've owned. From my experience and from looking over all of the great ideas on the forums I came up with this:

Only problem I have is that if I need to cut a wide board on the TS I need to remove my Incra fence, but, it is only attached with a couple of bolts. I don't need to remove it very often since I have a cir. saw rail cutting system now for cutting down sheet goods.

Mike

Jim,
    Any chance you could post pics of your setup?

Mike,
    That setup is kinda what I was thinkin of doin down the road too if I went this route...Does the Incra fence swap in and out without alot of realignment?

I will be doing more cabinets and the like with mostly sheet goods, so ease of removal would be crucial!

here is my router wing that i built for my table saw, a ridgid 3660 btw.

its just a piece of melamine that i cut to size and attached blocks on the bottom side with screws that fit into the t tracks of the table saw rails. i have a fence that i clamp to the table saw fence but its not shown in the pics. i just cut a hole and center my router plate under it and drilled the holes. i have a dewalt router with 2 bases and just leave the fixed base attached all the time

router1.jpg

router2.jpg

I'm not sure which of the Bosch router tables you have, it sounds like it may be the one I used in Albuquerque. If so, I'd do whatever I could to keep it.

I have a router table in my TS wing in my personal shop. I much prefered working with the taller Bosch table. Also, as my RT is on the left side of the blade, sometimes I have to either drop the router, potentially losing my bit height setting, or remove it entirely if I don't want to risk losing the setting. In a perfect world, my workflow would never necessitate such situations, but I don't live in a perfect world. As a result, I find having the router table separate to be preferable. Oh, and sometimes it can go the other way, where I have to compromise a TS setup in order to use the router table.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I'm in the process of making the same switch and selling my router table. My saw doesn't have legs under the short extension table so I've got to add a new mobile base, then a cabinet on the end to support the extra weight of the QG extension. The only downside I can foresee is a slight ergonomics one. With a router table you can stand off the end facing the fence but cant really do that with a TS extension. I'm going to have 2 miter slots put in mine. I'll be able to stand off the far end of the TS and use the router there for some stuff but think I'll need to stand in front of the saw for stuff that needs the fence.
    Use the fence Luke