Thread: Which tablesaw should I choose?

Which tablesaw should I choose?

Which tablesaw should I choose?

I have a Lowe’s gift card that will cover the price of either of these tablesaws.

Delta 36-979
    • Cast-iron table with cast-iron extension wings measures 40" x 27"
    • 0-45° bevel left tilts the blade away from the fence
    • 15 amp, 1-1/2 hp
    • Mobile base
    • T-slot miter gauge with adjustable stops at 45° and 90°
    • 234 lbs.
    • NO fence is included. For basic Delta fence, add $150
    • $449 (+ 150 for fence) = $599

Hitachi C10FL

• 15 amp, 3 hp
    • 27" x 40" table top with extension wing
    • Blade tilt and blade height adjustment knobs in front
    • Fence included in price
    • 264 lbs.
    • $549
    My Lowe’s has both saws on display. It isn’t possible to actually run and test either saw, so the best I’ve been able to do is play around with both of them, turning the blade height and tilt mechanisms, sliding the fences and so on.

To me, the Hitachi height, tilt and fence mechanisms felt smoother than those of the Delta. The Delta, however, is known for quality woodworking equipment. And because the Delta does not come with a fence, then you are free to buy a fence of the price and style of your choosing.

Because Lowe’s doesn’t carry Ridgid, Steel City, etc., I’m somewhat limited to the brands mentioned above. I suppose I could sell the gift card, probably at a reduced value, and take the cash and look at other brands, so that’s a possibility.

Thanks for reading all of this and offering your opinion as to which saw to buy. I’ll post what I decide to do.

Best regards from Ed

I see that Ridgid is now offering or will soon offer a granite top saw that looks very interesting. The price is about the same.

I can't comment on the others but I have an older (5-6 years I think) 3650 Ridgid and it is a very fine saw. I really want a cabinet saw but the Ridgid cuts straight, true and consistent. I still haven't had to do any re-tuning as of yet. I can't justify the expense for a new saw.

I'm sure some owners of the others will be along.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Fifteen amp motors aren't really 3 hp. except for the "peak power developed" concept devised by marketers. In my mind calling it 3 hp. is a strike against. But other wise I don't know these saws.

Do either have a riving knife, or is it just the usually blade guard splitter attrocity. I'd think that would be an important safety feature.

From comments I've read elsewhere:

The Hitachi's fence isn't so hot. But, the Hitachi has a hybrid-type trunnion systems (with motor under blade).

I would go with the Delta. I had the 36-680 for 2 years and it was a great saw. The one you are looking at is basically the same. The T2 fence is excellent. I have heard some compliants about the Hitachi. I don't remember what they were specifically and I know that doesn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Rouze View Post
    I have a Lowe’s gift card that will cover the price of either of these tablesaws.
    I say for that price range. Sell that gift card on Craigslist or similar and buy this from Home Depot:

I've got the 36-979 with a biese and I've been happy with it. It's really more saw than I need and not as much saw as I want if that makes any sense. I added a link belt, an mj splitter and a kreg miter guage along with a couple of freud thin kerf blades.

I wasn't impressed at all with the hitachi. From what I've heard the miter slots are a little small so you can't replace the guage. I also hate the misleading stats on the motor.

THANKS ... all this is very useful, and I appreciate everyone's opinions! Keep 'em coming! -- Ed

Ditto on selling the gift card. That opens your options considerably! I've told all my friends and family to same themselves the hassle of shopping for a gift card by just sending me a check or giving me an envelope with cash in it! One of my customers gives me a gift card from time to time that's actually a visa or mastercard that I can spend anywhere!

I've really enjoyed my Ridgid contractor saw for 9 years now in my shop. If I ever get a new one it'll probably be another Ridgid or a Grizzly.

Good luck with your decision.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I'd go with the Delta in a heartbeat over that particular Hitachi. The Hitachi's fence is lame, the wings are steel, and....among other knitpicks.

I like the idea of selling the giftcard and going for the Ridgid R4511 hybrid when it becomes available in a couple of weeks.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have the Delta you speak of and absolutely love it. It is solid, accurate and with a good blade and fence system can do pretty much anything you want.

One upgrade I would suggest is a power twist link belt... there is virtually no vibration and the noise is nothing but a nice quiet purr

If you go with the Delta the T-2 fence that they sell is excellent. It will set you back about $150. Have fun and be safe.

Obviously a lot has to do with your finances & needs. Selling the GC on craigslist will cost you some of the face value but open your options. Not sure which area you are but now is a great time to look for deals on craigslist. If you can add some extra cash to whatever you get from the GC you can be looking at some very nice saws.

Also consider what other must buys you might have past the saw that add up to the face value of the gift card anyway. For example ductwork and lighting can easily eat up $200 each depending on the size & layout of your shop, $200 for a two base router kit, $100-$150 for a quality circ saw, etc. If you're going to have to buy these other things in addition to your saw then you can open up your options. If you don't need or can't current afford those, I would sell the card and troll craigslist for a deal (for example, in my area there's a Unisaw without fence that only costs $200 more than that delta)

If you can't sell the giftcard I'd say the Delta over the hitachi and buy a quality fence elsewhere. The fence on the Rigid looks like it belongs on a job site saw, but maybe other owners have had good results & it can hold its settings.

Best of luck and post pics with whatever you end up with

-Scott
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.