Thread: The Slippery Slope!

The Slippery Slope!

First off I want to thank everyone for their response on honing guides I posted a few weeks ago it really helped out a lot. I decieded to go the cheap route and purchased the one for $11.99 from woodcraft. I thought I was getting blades sharp before but now they are razor sharp. I use diamond stones to get my initial bevel and then to the 1000 water stone and finally polish it with the 6000 waterstone. I found the internet (especially all you guys here at Sawmill Creek) a wealth of knowledge. My first shavings were the hairs on my wrist! I thought I was on the slippery slope when I started collecting old tools but now that I have started using the tools I have collected I have really started the plunge. I started sharpening all my old planes even the ones I dont think I will use like my No.1 . The first one I got sharp was my 4 1/2C which I am currently using on my first project (my workbench). I will post pictures of the finished project and some nice shavings I took with the 4 1/2 in the near future. Until then I though you might enjoy a picture of the 4 1/2c and No.1 I am speaking of! Again thank you all for the advice! MVC-003S.JPG

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Clint,
    To an old and very honerable club.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

You're toast! Enjoy the slide and welcome to the slope.

Hank

Quick ,save yourself, send me that #1 before the disease takes a firm hold on you.

You have a #1. I've never even seen one in person. What have you used it for in the past? I kinda doubt I'd even find a #3 comfortable to use, but we'll see someday.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

No.1 Plane

I started collecting old tools before I started woodworking. In the past I have only used power tools I have just started WW using primarily hand tools. I dont think I would ever really need to use the No.1 I just was going crazy sharpening all my planes and I figured that it couldnt hurt to put a nice sharp edge on its little blade. I did however take to a piece of scrap wood in the shop with the little thing and it worked quite well. I could only fit two fingers around the tote so I just used it like a block plane of sort palming the whole thing using my fingers on the knob. Its so small it can fit in the palm of your hand!!
    Last edited by Clint Jones; 12-19-2006 at 7:42 PM.

How I use my LN #1 plane.

When I turn it around in my hand it fits perfectly to be pulled, not pushed. So when grain direction reverses and I can't easily move myself or the work, the #1 is my plane of choice.

There is an article in one of the recent Popular WW or Fine WW on the uses and reasons for the #1.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery