Thread: Wax over BLO & shellac or varnish

Wax over BLO & shellac or varnish

Is there any value add to putting a top wax coat over shellac or varnish?

Was going to hit my soft maple with BLO, then go the shellac or varnish route after reading up on some old threads. No real goal here other than to give this method a shot after years of loyal patronage of the Minwax stain/poly shelf.

I assume the BLO will help the curl pop out of the maple. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Hello,
    Wax over shellac adds a layer of protection from moisture or possible spills of alcohol. It can also be used to add some "grip" to the surface if you use the shellac on floors. You can also use it to raise or lower the sheen of the finish.

Wax over phenol based varnishes often results in a smeared appearance.
    Some waxes can also damage natural varnishes, due to the solvents used by the mfg. in making the wax.
    Check the contents listed on the side of the can.
    If it contains Aromatic solvents, then it's probably best to avoid using it over most natural varnishes or lacquers.
    The most common aromatic solvents are Xylene and Toluene.

If the contents list aliphatic solvents, then it's probably safe.
    The most common aliphatic is mineral spirits.

Wax over urethane based products is usually an unnecessary step. Often, it will also give a smeared appearance.

It would help to know what the piece is and what/where it's going to be used to help narrow down which wax would be best.

Many people have their "pet" finishing systems that deliver the level of appearance they desire. They are usually the result of years of trial and error, and geared towards exactly what they prefer. It may or may not be what tickles your individual fancy though.

Since almost every modern clear coat has sufficient resistance to abrasion, UV light and spills, wax is little more than a cosmetic.
    Done right it can deliever stunning results.
    I have some small walnut gun cases that I finished with a coat of oil based sealer, a light coat of stain, followed by a wash coat (10% natural spar varnish/90% mineral spirits) followed by unpteen coats of paste wax.

They get handled a lot and I like the way the wax feels and the subtle feel of the wood grain that comes through. It's also a very simple finish to repair in the even it gets scratched.

As always:
    Read the mfg. recommendations as to compatibility.
    Always try the entire system out on an ample sized trial piece first. I normally suggest a 10" X 10" piece.

Mike,

If you're going to shellac over BLO, make sure you thin the BLO 50% with mineral spirits to allow it to penetrate deeper into the wood as well as help it dry a little faster than 72 hours. With it thinned 50/50...I've been able to topcoat in 24 hours with the piece being inside a warm shop, meaning above 65º F.

Rich has given you a lot to digest there, so I'll leave it at this for now.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have read that the BLO will darken the wood, but doesn't do much to enhance the grain compared with straight shellac... not sure if this is true or not..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buelow
    Is there any value add to putting a top wax coat over shellac or varnish?

Was going to hit my soft maple with BLO, then go the shellac or varnish route after reading up on some old threads. No real goal here other than to give this method a shot after years of loyal patronage of the Minwax stain/poly shelf.

I assume the BLO will help the curl pop out of the maple. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
    Last edited by Matt P; 12-20-2006 at 9:37 PM.

BLO will darken wood somewhat more than straight shellac. I think the difference is less between BLO and straight oil based varnish. And, over the long term, BLO (and varnish) will continue to change color. Shellac is more stable than either over time.