Thread: Rediscovery

Rediscovery

So today we finally got around to putting up our tree and around here that's an all day affair. Trudge into the woods outback and spend forever trying to find just the right victim. This time our victim was about thirty feet up, so there was lots of sawing and stuff. Lug it back home over thirty or forty miles of rugged terrain stopping only to do CPR on an ailing moose and a Moxie break. After lunch I fired up the lathe and rigged the vac chuck so I could true up the tree's base to fit our stand. Later after carefully hand rubbing numerous coats of John Hart's Epoxy Manhattan over each needle individually (Chrystine's not a big fan of needles on the carpet and this seems to stem that) it was time to trim it out.

We have far too many ornaments for the tree so (other than the favorites) they tend to fall into a rotation such that we might not see something for a few years. And today, these got rediscovered. Turned back in 2003 and finally getting their second turn on the tree.The finish is a friction polish and it had faded a bit, but they buffed up pretty nice, so I took a pic for posterity and your viewing terror.

The bell is about eight inches tall and the steroidal ornament is an obscene fourteen inches overall. Yellowheart and padauk are the principal woods. Bell has pink ivry on the pointy parts. I forget what the Ahnoldament's finials are.

Segged Bell 01.jpg Segged Ornament 02.jpg
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-20-2006 at 11:48 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads

excellent! geez...you don't post many pics...but when you do...you dazzle.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Nicely done Andy! Wished I could have seen the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful work Andy! Love the segments in the bell!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice work on the bell and the " ahno...." what ever that was . you should do a step by for those look some what " Israeli " and way cool
    John 3:16

Ding-a-ling! Very nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Way to go Andy. That is pretty awesome. Nice work.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

MOA SIR!

Those ornaments are indeed quite wonderful.

The story of obtaining the tree reminds me of the Griswold's and their quest for a tree in "Christmas Vacation". What happened to the pictures of the journey to obtain said tree??? No pictures? It would seem that helicopter Andy, of traffic reporting fame, would be looking to get some unwrapped Limberger cheese in his stocking. The only place in the U.S.A. that makes it is not far from here.

I like the idea of rotating ornaments. With my CRS it would seem like we got new ornaments every year.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Those are really pretty and unique ornaments.

But the two pictures I was really hoping to see were of the beautiful Maine Christmas tree spinning in the vacuum chuck on the Oneway. And then I think everyone one would have loved to see a nice photo of you in a lip lock with that moose doing CPR. Did the moose ask for any of the Moxie, maybe just to get the taste out of its mouth?

Very nice Sir Andy.

Sorry Curt. My assistant for the day is kinda clumsy with cameras - all thumbs and stuff. But I was able to get a shot a while later of him and Bullwinkle. Booger followed us home and wouldn't leave until I gave him more Moxie and a package of twinkies.

moose and squir huh.jpg

No pics of the tree on the mayo either. Sorry, but this week it's Santa's Secret Workshop.

Have I told you about the bridge I've got for sale?
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Have I told you about the bridge I've got for sale?
    No, I don't recall anything about the bridge. So, where is it located? How long? Single lane or can two vehicles pass at once? Might be interested!

Great looking ornaments, Andy! Still haven't had the guts to try something like that, which is OK, 'cuz the wifey decided she's going traditional with the ornaments this year. 3 generations of glass globe-type ornaments this year: Hers' her mom's and her grandma's.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Those should get front billing for a few years there Andy. Nice!

Corey

NICE ornaments Andy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    ..and I'm drooling over that visitor.......Look at all those low cholesterol steaks and roasts and........

The young moose would eat good too!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns