Thread: shakeresque stool

shakeresque stool

I took a break from door production to make a stool for my Mom for Christmas. She needs something to allow her to get into the wall cabinets in her kitchen, and I noticed she held onto the counter while using a little plastic stool. I remembered this design from some publication or another, and thought it might work (and look) better. This was fun because I got to use a tool set that I rarely touch any more.

This was my first use of a Leigh jig that I got used last year. I tried my new Festool 1400 router as well, which is a sweet tool, but not optimal for this job due to the high grip position (note to Festool, the snap-in insert ring would function better if it were flush to the base, and it wasn't quite centered on the bit). In retrospect, I might have varied the dovetail spacing a bit, but time was short. One little detail I did add was the slight taper from the floor to the bottom of the step, which I cut after the dovetails and back joint were cut.

I used cherry and jatoba, with walnut and maple dowels. The joint where the step interlocks with the back was done on the bandsaw with no hand tool cleanup. I love the Tri-master carbide blade! The curve in the back was easier than a straight cut, and looks OK, I think. The top cap is a handle that balances pretty well for moving the stool, and gives a hold point while using it.

I used epoxy to glue it together, then while it was clamped, drilled and glued the dowels to reinforce the joints. I used 3 coats of wipe-on oil/poly gel for a finish. I would make it all more sculptural if I were to do it again
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JR

That's beautiful, JR! I've wanted to build one myself, but just don't have the time. Beautiful dovetails.
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Hey, J.R., that looks great.

I remember it also... it was by Frank Klausz, and it was in American Woodworker. I've got it upstairs on my bookshelf somewhere. I'd have to guess that it was somewhere around 1998 fall that it was published, but I'm not really sure.
    "It's Not About You."

Excellent project! That's really a nice stool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great project...looks great just the way it is. Lars

A great little stool. Both artistic and highly practical. I like it.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate