Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shop! Layout comments please.

New Shop! Layout comments please.

We received an offer on our house Sunday night, meaning we get to buy a new house. We should be closing in about a month and getting possession just before Christmas. The new house already has a 30x48 pole barn with 12' walls. There is a concrete floor for the front 32' and a packed gravel floor for the back 16'. My plan is to put a wall at the end of the concrete slab and insulate and heat the front half. There is a window, an entry door, and an 11' overhead door in the front half and a large sliding door in the rear. The rear will be for storing the compact tractor (a new power tool!), attachments, yard tools, generator, etc. The front will be a dedicated woodworking shop.

I started packing my current garage/shop yesterday because I need to get it into storage ASAP, but decided to spend some time today playing with layout. Below is my first stab. I probably have 3-4 months before I really get moved in, but I wanted to get going early to work out a good layout. I would appreciate any comments on my layout.

One thing I am still thinking about is lumber storage. I'm debating whether it should be in the unheated area or up front. Also, there is currently a storage room in the corner where I am showing the lumber rack. I'm considering keeping the storage room and reworking it into a small office space with a desk for manuals, a computer, etc. I do not plan to add a bathroom because the layout of the lot would make taping into the septic system very expensive.

WOW! That's alot of shop space. I envy you. But, space is like clamps, you can't ever have enough. You might consider moving the dust collection into the other room. Also, I would store most of the lumber there unless you're gonna use it in a month or so. Then I'd bring it into the heated side to acclimate. Just my thoughts. Congratulations on your new home!
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

Matt,
    Congrats on the new space - I'm green with envy!

I would agree on moving the DC - keeps the clean-out mess out of the shop. Also consider moving the compressor out as well. Even the best of them are noisy. Set both up with switched outlets, or better yet low voltage relays to turn them on and off - the DC from the various machines. (my shop is too small to justify that - 6 steps to any tool)

Also consider work flow - which tools get used together - what is the typical flow of materials through the shop - what tools/consumables need to be stored with which procedure etc. The guys in the shop where I used to work did a detailed analysis of what went through the shop and what processes (tools) they used. It was amazing the number of (foot) steps they removed from each job.

Wes

Another thought

Matt,
    great space, and good to layout on paper like this....

I use my bandsaw a lot for ripping, especially thicker stock, so I like to have more space (about 8') on inboard and outboard ends (although if you have it on a mobile base, that can work).
    I agree with the thoughts of moving the DC and lumber to the other side, and have a space in the shop for lumber for the current project, and sheet goods, which I would want to keep away from moisture (the gravel floor).

Roger

Congratulations on the soon-to-be-new shop! (and home, of course...)

In general, your plan looks fine. Here are somethings I'll comment on; some already mentioned:

1) Do consider putting your DC and compressor "outside" of the shop. This helps mitigate noise a lot. Be sure to provide an air return from the DC back into the shop, especially since you'll be heating. A small, insulated room on a "self-poured" simple pad in the unheated area will work well for this application

2) Consider your assembly and finishing needs. Either provide a dedicated area for the latter or make provisions in your layout to insure you have a place that you can wall off temporarily. One way to free up more space is to create a tool coral for some of those machines that are used less often and have them on mobile bases. You can pack them in tight somewhere and just wheel them out to a place with a DC port when a particular operation is necessary. All of us tend to try and have a relatively permanent home for everything...which even in a large shop can limit actual space.

3) Don't forget your lathe relative to dust collection. There should be a pickup for use when sanding on the machine...it releases a ton of dust into the air

4) If you can swing it later on, consider replacing that overhead door with a roll-up or double outswing door so that you don't block any lighting or limit your ability to run other "utilities" overhead during the warm months when you want to let the breeze in

5) The unheated space is perfectly fine for your lumber storage. Like someone else mentioned, just make provisions to be able to bring in some material for a current project to acclimate for a week or two. But there is no need to have a gazzillion board feet of wood "in" the shop at all times! (That also gives you more space for that finishing area I mentioned)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cool Congrats!

First, congrats on the new space (and house!). Ditto to what the rest of the guys said about the DC, compressor, etc... Having very recently gone through a similar exercise of determining work flow for a "new" shop, I would also consider one other modification: I note that your lumber storage is on one side of the shop, while the miter saw and jointer are on the other side, but then, your planer is back again near the lumber side. Although my own shop's configuration is vastly different, the one thing which I believe would apply to both is, putting the jointer and planer close together. In fact, mine are almost literally back to back. That way, I can joint, plane and rip within a few steps of each other. On your setup, I think I would consider moving my TS over to the left and shift the planer over there by the jointer. That way, it would more closely follow the logical path of work and save you steps and time. Just MHO, of course. Otherwise, it looks like you're ready to rock 'n roll! Have fun.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up New Shop

Matt,
    Congratulations on the future shop. I agree with the other guys in that I would put the compressor, dust collector and lumber storage in the unheated area.
    Just my 2 cents.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thanks for all the tips so far. As soon as I get the chance I'll think about how to incorporate all the suggestions, update the layout and repost it.

One question on the compressor--wouldn't it be bad for the compressor pump to be running in an unheated space, just like cold starting your car? What about the condesate freezing in the bottom of the tank?

Smile sNew shop

Wonderful. Sounds as if you are about to realize the dream of many woodworkers. Would suggest that you allow more space at the ends of your lathe. You may want to turn outboard sometime. Also, DO provide dust collection for that lathe. Lathes are notorious dust producers. Again, have a great time.
    Doc

I forgot to draw a run to the lathe. I definitely will have one. My lathe is a Jet Midi with the exentsion so I can't turn outboard.

Air Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Thanks for all the tips so far. As soon as I get the chance I'll think about how to incorporate all the suggestions, update the layout and repost it.

One question on the compressor--wouldn't it be bad for the compressor pump to be running in an unheated space, just like cold starting your car? What about the condesate freezing in the bottom of the tank?

Matt,

You bring up a good point about the air compressor in an unheated space. In this part of the world, Oklahoma, air compressors are in unheated spaces, even outside, all over the place. However, I see you are in Michigan where it certainly gets much colder than here. Heck, to you guys, we don't even have winter here! The main reason for putting a compressor outside of the shop is to reduce noise and free up space. Since you have a fair amount of space, compared to my shop anyway, you might consider building a closet for the compressor to cut down on noise. Another option would be to build this "closet" in the unheated area with vents into the shop to allow for some heat to flow into the closet. Yet another option would be to heat this closet with a small thermostat controlled electric heater. Of course, you would want to insulate the closet.

Congrats on the new shop and house and good luck.
    Bob

Matt, I agree with the other posters on putting the compressor and dust collection in a seperate room. I'm also wondering about what heat source you plan on using to heat the shop. I am also hoping to expand my 32 X 48 pole barn soon. I'm adding 12 X 32, 8' high with a second story also 8'. Thinking about taking the plunge and putting in an outdoor wood furnace and going with radiant heat in the floor and also heating the house. I would insulate your new shop with as much R-value possible. I've been trying to get a quote on the spray on urethane foam insulation. It seals and offers a high R-value per thickness. Is the new home also in the Petersburg area?

Nice layout, one problem....

...where's the fridge with all the beer in it?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

One thing I would consider is the placement of the jointer relative to the planer. I would put them side by side. In my shop every board that goes through the planer gets jointed first. Mine aren't side by side and I've been looking, trying to figure out how to rearrange things. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

warthog5 Guest
    Yep DC and Air Compressor on the other side of the wall, but out of the weather.