Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone use or see the palmgren lathe

Mine was shipped & is supposed to be delivered on Friday the 5th. For some reason I can't track my shipping either - says tracking not available on this item???? I'm really looking forward to getting this baby set up & see how it works.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Well.........How do you all like your new lathes????? I've seen some pens, a few bowls, and a bottle stopper (all of which looked mighty nice BTW) but haven't seen anything in the form of a review. I know someone interested in one of these and need your input.

Are the lathes so great that you've all spun yourselves silly, or all you all working together to sue the company???????

Thanks.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Well..... I JUST got mine put together on the table. Seems to be a good one. Ran the motor (so know THAT works). I would like some input on removing a chuck though.... My small lathe had a wheel I could hold on to so the spindle (?) wouldn't turn. But I can't see any obvious locking mechanism on this. I know, read the directions... I have and that isn't addressed for me to understand. All I recall is someone saying not to forget to unlock something or you'll wreck your belt????

Bonnie when you remove the back cover which hinges down there is a lever on the top near you that can be pulled toward you locking the spindle and away from you unlocks the spindle. If you leave it in the locked position yes the belts will squeal and burn. After a couple of times doing that you will need a new belt.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thank you SO much Bernie! Was afraid I'd mess the new lathe up good just turning it on lol

I haven't turned anything but pens and bottle stoppers on mine yet. Oh I forgot keychains too. But I think it was one heck of a deal. I like the lathe. It is so much better than the HF cheapie I had(I gave it away). I guess you would say I am very satisfied with it. Now if I could find a heater for the shop I could go make some sawdust.

I've had mine for almost a week now and haven't turned anything yet. Initially, I was waiting on a new bed. The one that came with the lathe had a weld to repair a poor casting. I called Palmgren and within a couple of hours they airfreighted a new bed. Got it in two days. That's good customer service. They even told me to keep the old bed!

Since then I have been buildinga cabinet that will be 67" long with a double layer of 3/4" MDF for the top. I've trimmed the top with oak 1" x 2" witha gray Formica layer. The case with have six 3.5" drawers for my turning tools and four 5.5" drawers for chucks and other miscellaneous tools. I hope to finish it this week so I can finally start turning on it.

I love mine I was away for aweek so I haven't turned alot but I made a ne bowl I posted vase I posted plus a peppermill. I have a couple of curly maple blanks drying from the dna soak I roughed last week at Bill Grumbines I be eager to turn.

for a review-
    My biggest complaint is the power switch my arm keeps turning it off. So there is a chance in the future that I will move it
    Compared to my old griz this thing is built like a tank has lots more power everything slides nice the headstock does not tip when I put pressure on it. In general I love it. Is this my dream lathe? no that would be a condiment you put on a hotdog. But I could not afford it right now. But this thing will definetly let me push my abilties as I learn and will last me many years.

So if any one is looking I say go for it, problem is amazon is out of them, Maybe if you call palmgren they might find you one.

Bob

review Craftsman 15"

I have had this lathe for six or seven years. It has turned bowls, vases, spindles of various kinds, ornaments, birdhouses both miniature and full sized, clocks, tonfas (tonfea? tonfee? whatever) hollow forms, mushrooms and other assorted things which can be seen on my website. While most of the pieces are not noted for what lathe they were turned on, a lot were made on this lathe.
    It is sturdy and well made. Mine is bolted to the stand which is bolted to the floor but any well made stand should work for it. Lathe speeds are controlled by a Reeves drive although Palmgren calls it something else. The old Generals used this same type of drive so the technology is well known and reliable.
    The headstock rotates which means that it is difficult (I will say almost impossible until someone proves me wrong, please) to get a jackshaft in place. I would like the low speed of 400 to be lower and the high speed of 2000 to be higher.
    So far the largest piece I have turned on it has been a mushroom of wet elm, 13" diameter x 29" high. Call it 80 pounds of weight. No problem but a lot of shavings.
    I have had to replace the drive belt a couple of times. This was my fault for having left the spindle lock on when starting the lathe. I have also taken apart the drive to lubricate the pulleys. The Sears manual is useless for this type of thing but I have put the info on my site.
    Overall I feel this lathe is a bargain. For the same quality I would have to spend a lot more from other companies. Accessories for the MT2 spindle and tailstock and the 1" x 8 spindle are easy to come by from many suppliers. I am pleased and would buy another if necessary.
    ___
    Darrell Feltmate
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 01-17-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Brought post into compliance with TOS

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Feltmate
    Take a look at my website.
    Good idea folks. I've been visiting Darrell's site for about two years. Lots of good information there... tutorials and such.

Oh, and welcome Darrell.

THANKS for the reviews folks, greatly appreciated!

Great website too Darrell!
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Bonnie and all I have had the Palmgren lathe now for about 8 months now and like it well. I have the Craftsman version of it. The one I got from Sears had problems from day one. I contacted Palmgren and told them in the first month it was down more than it had turned. Customer service air freighted me a complete new head even though I did not buy it from them. I had it overnight. Have not had a problem since. I have turned pens and mini birdhouses that I just posted to 14 1/2" bowls. Customer service at Palmgren is second to none in my books.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.