Thread: Waterbased table top varnish

1. Waterbased table top varnish

My neighbor wants to restain and refinish his (oak) kitchen table top. He is not a woodworker but he is a very competent guy. Anyway he needs something that:

dries fast (water based, I'm thinking) because it will be difficult for him to isolate the table from the kids (4 of them) and from dust

is fairly forgiving and easy to apply

I can walk him through the mechanics of finishing, but I pretty much always use oil-based varnishes so I am no use to him for recommending something. Any suggestions?

Even if he goes waterborne, he needs to protect it from the 'gang' for a period of time. The waterbornes I'm familiar with don't achieve full toughness for about a month, similar to oil-based. It's like a conspiracy...

I use and recommend General Finishes "High Performance Poly" as an excellent waterborne, subject to the preceding.

If neither of you have applied waterborne before, you really need to practice first. It doesn't apply like an oil-based.

Dave

3. Where to buy

Dave
    Thanks
    Where do you buy that? I dont recognize the name from the usual collection of WW catalogs.

I get it from Woodcraft, Tom. Their dealer locator is at http://www.generalfinishes.com/dealers.htm . Don't confuse their Polyacrylic with HP Poly, by the way. Polyacrylic is so-so, in my experience.

Dave

Also Consider

Fuhr's #355. I used it on a dining table and am pleased as punch. You have the choice of satin, gloss, and one other (I think) you can order it from homesteadfinishes.com. Jeff Hewitt will answer questions either on phone or at his forum. If you want to see what it looks like, go to www.eyman.org/table. (Moderators: this is a non-commercial site, no banners, no nothing except pictures. If, however, I've sinned by including this site, tell me how I should have done it.)

PS This can be wiped on!
    Last edited by Carl Eyman; 11-14-2003 at 5:52 PM.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Holy cow, I agree with Dave, almost......

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Arbuckle
    Even if he goes waterborne, he needs to protect it from the 'gang' for a period of time. The waterbornes I'm familiar with don't achieve full toughness for about a month, similar to oil-based. It's like a conspiracy...

I use and recommend General Finishes "High Performance Poly" as an excellent waterborne, subject to the preceding.

If neither of you have applied waterborne before, you really need to practice first. It doesn't apply like an oil-based.

Dave
    The reason Dave uses waterborne is he is allergic to the fumes of lacquer and such. Good reason on his part. And, the application of the waterborne polly is harder to work with. It wont lay out as even as oil base products. Take this in consideration. A few years back I refinished a pool table in the house. Each evening I'd apply a coat of oil base Varathane to the rails. The next evening I'd lightly sand and apply another coat. Did this four days running. Super job. (drying time can differ with weather conditions, of course.) Dave is dead on about the cure rate of water base products. Fastest finish would be precatalyzed lacquer.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    (Moderators: this is a non-commercial site, no banners, no nothing except pictures. If, however, I've sinned by including this site, tell me how I should have done it.)
    No problem with the link Carl - since the link is germain to the thread topic and is not a link to another public forum.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.