Thread: dadoe blade or dadoe with the router

dadoe blade or dadoe with the router

I recently used a dadoe blade on my table saw. Being somewhat tentative because this was the first time that I have ever installed and used a dadoe, I checked it's width after my first pass, and I noticed that the width had widened about an eighth of an inch or so. So I stopped everything and checked it for tighness. I found it was somewhat loose (scary!). So I tightened it and repeated the process. Again, I received the same results. I repeated this process one more time. Each successive time after my initail instalation I tightened the blade tighter. Unfortunately I received the same results; a slightly loosened blade and a wider dadoe. My manual strongly advises against the use of the "wobble" type of dadoe blade for my type of saw. I am almost certain that my dadoe blade was not of the "wobble" type. I purchased my dadoe blade from Craftsman. It is not listed as a wobble type of dadoe blade. It, infact, is a recomended accessory for my table saw. I did notice that when I installed the dadoe blade that it barely fit. If I were to use it to cut 1/4 dadoes, I would have a difficult time getting the nut threaded onto the arbor. Fortunately, my dadoe was about 3/4 of an inchs, so I didn't have a problem with this. And this is somewhat confusing. As I stated earlier when the blade loosend the dadoe got bigger, but when it is installed, to get a wider dadoe the nut gets tightened further in towards the blade. Now I have a great deal of aprehension when it comes to using a dadoe blade. Could the the reason for all of these probles be because I bought it on e-bay? Or could it be that I am not use to using one and, therefore, under tightend it to begin with? A final note to this nightmare, I had one heck of a time removing it once I had accepted the defeat of this whole experience! I spent about 5 minutes rocking it back and forth to get it off. Do I really need a dadoe? If so, what type? Should I get another one from the store (instead of e-bay) and give it another try ? I mean, after all, it was recomended for my table saw (Sears gave me a gift credit card for the one that I bought on e-bay). My table saw isn't the cheapest model that Sears sells, nor is it the most expensive. And everything on my talbe saw works fine. I am actually quite happy with the results that I have received. Later on I will invest in a better and bigger table saw. But for now, I have to work with what I have. Dadoe blade or Router ? Help!!!

PS: I will be building book shelves, cabinets, etc. for the most part.

Aurelio,

There are two basic kinds of dado blade arrangements. One kind has a number of blades that you stack together. To get a 1/2" wide dado you would use four blades each 1/8" thick. This is called Stacked Dado Blades.

The other common type is only one blade with a big washer looking thing in the middle. To change the thickness of the dado it cuts you grab the washer on both sides of the blade and turn them in opposite directions. Because of the geometry of the two washers they tilt the single blade on the saw arbor so it isn't at 90° to the arbor. It is off just a little and as the arbor turns the blade "wobbles" from side to side. How far it wobbles determines how wide the dado is cut.

Which kind do you have? Multiple stacking blades or a single blade with the big washers in the middle?
    Mac

Mine is different than the two you mention

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McAtee
    Aurelio,

There are two basic kinds of dado blade arrangements. One kind has a number of blades that you stack together. To get a 1/2" wide dado you would use four blades each 1/8" thick. This is called Stacked Dado Blades.

The other common type is only one blade with a big washer looking thing in the middle. To change the thickness of the dado it cuts you grab the washer on both sides of the blade and turn them in opposite directions. Because of the geometry of the two washers they tilt the single blade on the saw arbor so it isn't at 90° to the arbor. It is off just a little and as the arbor turns the blade "wobbles" from side to side. How far it wobbles determines how wide the dado is cut.

Which kind do you have? Multiple stacking blades or a single blade with the big washers in the middle?
    Mac
    My blade has a big washer in the middle...But mine has two blades in stead of just the one that you mention. When I did a search at Craftsman for "wobble" dadoe blades mine didn't come up with the rest of their wobble type dadoes. It isn't listed as a wobble. But I can tell you that it isn't a stack type. Here is a link to it if you choose to view it: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00932668000

I have never used a double blade dado like your. I have a couple of single blade wobblers from sears. Never a problem like you are describing. Sounds like it needs to go back for a refund. Either get you a stacked set, or a single blabe wobbler.
    You purchased from Ebay. Was it Sears you purchased it from through Ebay? If you did, just take your receipt to any Sears store and they should give you a refund, though they may direct you to go back through Ebay to get your funds back. Steve

Just a thought, if you are using the shims that came with your dado set to adjust the thickness, I have found that on occassion mine hang up in the threads of the arbor and don't let the set tighten down completely. Then as the natural tendancy is for the operation of the blade to tighten the nut it draws it tighter and pops the shim loose a little?? Usually i prefer the dado set myself for real woods, but use a router for dados in plywood.

From what I've heard, the excalibur is not a wobble dado blade, but an adjustable stack-style dado - without the stacking. Freud has recently (re-)introduced a similar product (608?).

Not sure why it's cutting so far off, though.

- Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis
    From what I've heard, the excalibur is not a wobble dado blade, but an adjustable stack-style dado - without the stacking. Freud has recently (re-)introduced a similar product (608?).
    The Freud SD608 is essentially the same as the SD508 stack dado set with the addition of an outer blade with and adjustable hub. This eliminates the need for shims to fine tune the width, but doesn't affect the quality of the cut or the flatness of the bottom like a wobble blade would. You still stack the chippers in the middle to get the general width and then twist the outer blade's hub to get it "just right".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

aurelio - i have a Craftsman 8" stacked dado set. 2 edge blades, bunch of chippers. when fully stacked, it's real tight getting the nut on the end of the arbor.

i put the washer on the inside, then an edge blade, chippers to width, and a closing edge blade. if less than loaded, i put another washer on the outside and then the nut. you have to have a washer on the inside; the nut should be big enough to hold the outer blade if a washer won't fit.

never had any trouble with 'em working loose. and they cut a reasonably accurate dado (a little fuzz in the bottom, but nothing a sharp chisel won't scrape clean).

b

thanks to all

You're right Ed! This is the one that I bought on e-bay. It is an Excalibur by Craftsman. I have since returned it for a refund. I'm not sure if I will buy another one or not. You see, I bought this off of some private previous owneron e-bay and not from Sears. Although it apeared new, this may be the reason the previous owner sold it. Sears gave me a gift card for the amount of the blade (lucked out). I didn't exchange it at the time because I wanted to post the inquiry here before made a decision. I think that it may have gotten caught up on the treads of my arbor (now that Craig mentions it). I kept finding the same information on-line that Mac gave me. After I initailly posted this, I called Freud and asked them what type of dadoe I should use for my table saw (without informing him of my dilemma) and guess what he suggested? You guys were right -- the SD608. Just as Jim and Ed posted, the SD608 is of the same type (except it uses stacks with a dial).

Unless you guys advise me differently, I think I will be repurchasing the Craftsman excalibur blade and will let you guys know how things turn out. It may be a good blade and just user error on my part--or bad blade from e-bay user. In addition to the Excalibur, I may just get a stacked dadoe set while I'm there just in case I get the same results and take your advice brad. Needless to say, after reading your replys, I no longer feel lost. I will give it another go!
    Last edited by aurelio alarcon; 11-15-2003 at 1:09 AM.