Thread: "Weekend Doin's" New Years Edition

"Weekend Doin's" New Years Edition

Friday December 29th, 2006

Well, this is it. The last weekend of 2006. Last chance to say you finished up a project this year.

Not much going on here. We will have all the grandkids [6] for the weekend. LOML has to work New Years Eve. Grand Re-Opening for the establishment for which she is GM. Sunday night will be watching the Packers take on "Da Bears". The oldest rivalry in the NFL is always a good watch.

So what's up with you? You gonna take a break and celebrate? Keep it safe and sane. And watch out for the other guy.

Happy New Year
    Looking forward to see you all in the New Year.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Hi karl!
    I have to work Tomorrow morning 8 til 1. After that I'm working on cutting an opening from the foyer into the hallway for LOML's music studio entrance so kids don't have to go through the family room/kitchen to get there. I've already cut the sheetrock off one side and moved an existing electrical outlet that was in the way. Stepped through the ceiling in the family room in the process.
    Have to build a header and cut the studs out, then put it all back together. Shouldn't be too bad. Hope I can then get some shop time to do what I had planned on doing this weekend. Jim.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

No woodworking for me either, but this is almost as good.

We're getting ready to move households from Ireland back to Michigan as I come towards the end of my overseas assignment. So we are completing our pre-move household goods inventory, sorting things into ocean shipment, air shipment and suitcase piles, and generally getting ready for the movers on Wednesday.

Sandy and I will be back in the US for the last two weeks in January moving into our new home in Fenton, MI and getting her settled. Then I'm back here in Ireland through to about April, when I retire and return to Michigan myself.

We've enjoyed the last three years in the UK and Ireland, but are definitely ready to come back, and to start our new life after retirement.

Happy New Year from Dublin!

You're retiring... to MICHIGAN?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Brown
    You're retiring... to MICHIGAN?
    Laurie - after years of international traveling, and living in Australia, Thailand, the UK and Ireland, Sandy told me we were going to be no farther than about 30 minutes away from the grandchildren.

Both of our families are in the area, so I can't think of a state I'd rather retire to. I'm looking forward to sharing some shop time with my grandsons and a new granddaughter!

I expect some shop time and maybe getting the door installed on the upper level of the shop building for access to the outside. I bought the door the other day and have measured things up. I just need to get to it... I also have a little more shop cleaning to do at the north end in and around the lumber storage area. You could call this an annual cleaning, but it's also to prepare for a new tool...

And, of course, we'll celebrate the new year. New Years will be a more special holiday for us given it's prominence in Russia...something of our girls' heritage to hold on to.
    -----

Mike, it's nice to hear you're getting ready to return "home". Congrats on your upcoming retirement...something I doubt will even be possible for me...LOL!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-29-2006 at 10:44 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Good for you. I relocated to be near family and do not regret it. There's some 'things' in life and then there's "quality of life and loved ones". Guess which wins?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This is my last opportunity to get some decent turning time in before undergoing carpel tunnel surgery next week. After that it's no WWing for what will feel like eternity. At least I'll have this behind me and can quit dreading it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Congrats on the retirement, I'm getting close.
    Laurie, he coulda been retiring to Minn, THAT would make even less sense.....

Got the next 4 days off and plan to spend as much time making stuff to make stuff as I can, got the TS extension and the add on hinged extension to the extension to finish, got the bigger TS sled to make and the buddies I just bought for the TS to install....gonna see lots of my TS this weekend..

Been told Ma wants to go out to someplace nice to eat also, she didn't even reply when I mentioned White Castle, so I won't even bother with Burger king....

Ya all be carefull if your out New Years eve and driving.

Al

Might actually do a little woodworking. I want to build a shelf in our home office for my toy tractor collection which outgrew the little shelves that were already in there over the past week. I'll probably also get my rotary cutter (brush hog) moved into the shop so I can start modifying the 3-point hitch.

To make our spare bedroom more roomy, my wife and I are turning the closet into our computer desk and removing the old desk completely. I had to add a couple shelves to place our three printers and store our odd electronics. Gotta go the the computer store to get some longer USB cords and one of those plastic carpet mats then off to Woodcraft to spend some gift certs.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Thanks Karl and the same to you. I finished a walnut handled screw driver turning project for my dad. We have our Hallagan side Christmas on New Years Day so I will give him this and a pen I turned as well. Anyway, Happy New Year to all! Been off all week so it's back to work on Tuesday!

Corey

Well, it's snowy in New Mexico--12" in our yard and still snowing!--so we are spending some time in the shop. Enclosing some open metal shelving with doors so the dust doesn't get to things so bad, turning a few pens, doing a couple of laser orders, and fishing in the Creek! I get such good ideas here for future projects that my "project notebook" is getting full. Just have to get the time to start doing them.

Happy New Year!!! to everyone,

And if you are drinking, don't drive. If you are driving, don't drink.

Have a safe weekend.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I hope to finish up an arts and crafts style sliding book rack I started last week, then ran out of time on. I'm scheduled to work on new years eve, but if our census is low, I may get it off (I work in a hospital). Happy new year to all.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

In my business, you go from really busy to really slow. This week was slow. I officially closed the stores at 1:00 pm today and came home. Last Sunday was the first day off I had since before Thanksgiving. Many days were 12 hour days in 8 day work weeks.

Today, I spread 400 lbs of Milorganite on my lawn. I have 1 1/2 acres.

This is a great golf course trade secret. Spread your stuff in the winter. Normally, I spread Milorganite during Thanksgiving and follow up with Crabgrass/fertilizer in Dec/Jan. Little late but the weather was warm so today it was Milorganite.

Oh wait this isn't the Gardening forum...

Tomorrow, it is finish up projects day. Planter box gets finished. Workbench table finally gets glued up....(I can't wait to use my new BowClamps...(( which I won here at SMC!)) ) Finish up another planter box.

And hopefully, do a Sketch up of an outdoor dining table with 150 year old recycled Oak barn wood.

Ambitious? Yep.

Joe