Thread: A gloat, Christmas projects, and a question

A gloat, Christmas projects, and a question

Well I finally go around to finishing my tool chest…well sort of finished. It is now equipped with its first till and has started to fill up. At some point I plan on adding inlay and other such things all over the interior but that will have to wait for more time and money.

Two of my sisters asked me to make things for them, one wanted a coat rack, shown below without pegs as I did not finish them in time because the bearings on our lathe went bad and have not been replaced yet. The other wanted a book stand with some sort of Celtic knot work on it. Both are made from cherry and both were quite happy with the out come.

Now one of my sisters took in pictures to her work and people are asking if I would make them things for cash. I would be very happy to do some side projects for a little extra cash but I have no idea what to charge. All the work I’ve done in shops I didn’t have to worry about it, the guys in the office did the bidding and I did the work. So is there a formula on what to charge? I don’t what to charge too much, but at the same time I don’t want to break even either. Well thanks for looking and any one who can help it would be greatly appreciated!

Dave,
    Just wanted to complement you on your fine work! As for your question on pricing your work, well, I have the same issue, although I seldom take on projects for money. For example, I built a poker table top for a guy in my poker group, and only charged him materials and a bottle of scotch! Which I REALLY enjoyed!

Great looking chest Dave...and excellent carving work on those "sister" projects! I know how difficult it is to keep the symmetry on those repeating patterns.
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

That "knot" is outstanding, Dave! Good stuff...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...