Thread: Pocket door construction

Pocket door construction

I am in the process of finishing my basement, which will include a pocket door leading to walk-in "toy closet". I have to modify the kit to fit the height of the space where the door is going to be installed. Therefore, I plan to build the door also. With this in mind I am looking for a little "engineering" help.

My plan is to build the frame for the door out of 1/2 inch material and skin the door with 1/4 luann(? sp) on both sides so it can be primed and painted to match the wall color. Can I join the frame with biscuts or should I use pocket hole joinery? My theroy is that biscuts should be strong enough, but no telling what kind of abuse it will take from three kids going in and out constantly.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Dan

Dan,
    In general you should not use biscuits for strength…they are used for alignment. Pocket hole screws actually increase strength and are much more suited for this job IMHO. The real strength of your door will be the skin and glue. I'd use some angle braces in the corners and one straight across the center also. Kids Be Tough And Stuff.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 11-15-2003 at 10:01 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

With luan (sp?) skins, biscuits will be fine. For that matter, butt joints glued would be fine too (but I wouldn't do it). The only thing that door has to do is hang from the top.

Todd.

The only part I'd question is the use of lauan for the skin. In my experience (as a painter), lauan does not paint well. It just sucks up the paint and leaves a grainy texture that I don't think looks very nice. If you're going to go to that much effort to paint it, you may as well use MDF. It'll suck up the paint, too, but at least you'll end up with a smooth surface when you're done. Or, you could use some 1/4" AC pine ply or something similar.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

1/4" Birch would work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    The only thing that door has to do is hang from the top.
    Todd.
    Hey Todd...Got kids? That toy closet door ain't going be just hangin' around.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks

Thanks to all for the responses. I think I will go with the pocket hole joinery, to me it seems stronger for the long run. But more importantly, it justifies the purchase of a new tool. I already have a biscuit joiner. I have been eyeing that Krieg pocket hole kit for a long time.

I also like the idea of birch or MDF for the skin instead of lauan. Once I though about it, I agree that it would probably make a better finished surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    1/4" Birch would work well too.
    Thanks, Todd--I had a temporary hole in my brain and couldn't come up with that.

I don't imagine you ever forget about using "Burch" ply, though.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Hi Jason. Actually, I do forget about "birch" ply! You know, alot of time I wish that Birch treeswere a bit more majestic than they are, or that birch-wood was more of a premier cabinet wood - that wasn't painted so much, but alas, I suffer through it somehow.

In the November 1999 issue of Popular Woodworking magazine, in their monthly feature section called "Out of the Woodwork" (a humorous column), they published my story for how the term "Burchwood" came about. If you have the magazine, read it - it's funny.

For those that don't have it, "Burchwood" is a synonym for "cardboard"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McGuire
    Thanks to all for the responses. I think I will go with the pocket hole joinery, to me it seems stronger for the long run. But more importantly, it justifies the purchase of a new tool. I already have a biscuit joiner.
    You get a stronger door...a new tool...And a certain someone will never know that it wasn't absolutely needed. Sounds perfect to me.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan