Thread: Cherry Veneer Plywood Sand through

Red face Cherry Veneer Plywood Sand through

Hi All,
    I am in the process of making a Cherry Computer Desk for myself. The base is solid cherry with the top made from cherry veneer plywood and a solid cherry frame. When I was sanding the frame on the desk top I sanded through the veneer on the plywood . I now have a streak of the core showing that is about a 1/8" wide and approx. 8" long in the plywood edge (running with the grain). I tried to stain a scrap piece of plywood that I sanded through and all I got was a big yellow streak from the glue. I thought I would try to hide this by painting it with some artist oil paint to make it look like a sap pocket. Any idea as to what color or colors to mix to make it look like a sap pocket? Also, I am going to apply a oil finish so, should I oil the wood first then paint my mistake or paint then oil it? I plan on taking a sample with me to the craft store to find a color that is close. Or is there a better way to fix this. Lucky for me it is on the back edge of the top next to where my monitor will go.

Thanks,
    Dave

I feel your pain...BTDT.

What're the chances your sand-through could pass for sapwood? Yeah, it's a glaring boo boo...but were it mine, and if I knew I was gonna have a monitor sitting there, I might be inclined to just leave it alone rather than make a bigger mess trying to fix it. If I was gonna try to fix it, I think a dark brown and black Sharpie might be in order (before the oil).

KC

cam you put thin trim around ,,,most of the time it's better to hide than fix,,,,,,
    Mike

Cherry oops

I have made passable repairs in similar cases of sand-through (I'll leave it to your imagination as to if I did it or not, I have trouble owning up to such errors...) using two different techniques.
    First, if the wood at the sand-through point is solid I have been able to paint that portion with cherry stain using a very small brush and layering on a couple of coats until it matched the surrounding area closely. Then after finishing it blended in very well.
    Another time (I have to learn to quit sanding this stuff...) the area was small so I used a sharp knife and cut the section out, chaved a similar section from a piecce of scrap from the same sheet of plywood and fit it into where the oops was shaved out. It took quite a bit of time but once in place and sanded (LIGHTLY!!) and the finish applied, it was hard to find.

I hope you come up with a fix that fits your situation. I know how frustrating this kind of thing can be.

Good luck!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

With your router, you could route out that section and scarf a new piece in. Been there, done that! Whatever you do, "wood wise", do it before the finish. If you want to try to color the wood with markers or paint, I would do that after the finish. Test on a piece of scrap to see if your markers or other colorants will smear with either the stain or the topcoat.

Or, buy a doily.

Todd.

Hello there,

A couple of options,

- New top, do you have enough plywood left over?

- Veneer over the plywood with a sheet of cherry veneer.

- Umm, how about the other side of the top? Is the second side, even if it is a lower grade of veneer, better looking than whatever fix you come up with for the "good" side?

Do you have any pics?

Let us know how things work out,

David.