Thread: Poly over lacquer?

Poly over lacquer?

I put a first coat of Deft spray gloss on two bowls, and ran out. Can I use Minwax clear gloss poly (spray) as the second coat?
    Will a whiff of spray poly help clear a badly blotted brain?
    Thanks,
    Joe, recovering slowly, now if I can just find my pants

Based on everything I've ever read about mixing finishes, I wouldn't attempt to apply poly over lacquer. You're much better off going for more Deft, even if it means waiting. Lacquer being an evaporative finish, each subsequent coat will "mix" in to the previous coat even if the previous coat is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Melton
    Will a whiff of spray poly help clear a badly blotted brain?... recovering slowly, now if I can just find my pants
    I knew there was something about you that I was concerned about...It's the old wiff the poly trick again. Don't you remember? You cut up those pants to wipe down that last bowl.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Sure, you can put poly over lacquer (not the other way around), but I can't imagine why you'd want to. Poly is softer, doesn't buff out as nicely, is often more "cloudy" and really is best used for floors. (Yea, my normal rant)

And Mark's comments are right on...each subsequent coat of lacquer will burn in to the previous (combine with). With poly and other varnishes, it goes on in layers which you can easily buff or sand through if you are not careful and the edges will be noticable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am going to have to disagree with Mr Becker on that one. I know he is more qualified than I but mixing two different products such as that is not a good thing. They both cure at different rates so even though lacquer is dry to the touch it is not cured. Poly does build in layers and lacquers melt into each other. I would not risk it and go get some lacquer and stick with the brand you are using. You can apply lacquer anytime in the process.
    John T.

I wouldn't mix the 2 different finishes. I'd stick with the lacquer and git'r done.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Melton
    Will a whiff of spray poly help clear a badly blotted brain?
    I believe the common term on the street is "Whuffing" or is that "Woofing". And it's meant to badly blot a clear brain.
    And I'm glad you asked that question because I was just about to give it a try. (putting some poly over some lacquer that is.)