Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Holiday Weekend Accomplishments...

Creeker's Holiday Weekend Accomplishments...

Greetings and Happy New Year to each of you.

This holiday weekend, I spent lots of time with the family and I picked up oncall duty beginning Monday morning at 8AM. I'm about to go to bed for a bit before I pick up oncall once again at 6AM Tuesday morning.

Spent time watching movies with the family, eating junk food, and just generally having a good time with the wife and kids.

I've got lacquer drying in the shop before I can turn the desktops over and start the final spraying of the black lacquer finish. Then it will be bringing the two desktop halves inside the house and let cure for about 2 weeks, then I'll lightly rub out the finish before I deliver it to my customer.

Nothing but work for the day/night job this week.

So how was YOUR holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Other than some cleanup and burning boxes of scraps in the fireplace Saturday didn't get any shop time. The kids and grandkids showed up Sat. afternoon and left yesterday (Mon.) I turned 60 on Sunday so the family got together then instead of Christmas. Will finish cleaning the shop today and then start the next round of projects.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Milled down all of the Lacewood for the Stickley Cabinet I am building. Got most of the panel glueup's done also.
    Spent a relaxing weekend with LOML and just did a slow roll into the New Year.

Wishing everyone peace, health and prosperity for the New Year.

Was able to finally start putting together a dado cutting jig that I have wanted to build, hope to finish it up later this week. My goal for January is to bang out 2 or 3 jigs that I know whill help me in getting a few projects that I have wanted to start on.

A big challenge as a beginner with limited resources is finding projects that I can accomplish with the few tools that I have. Building a few basic jigs should help with that, as well as give me some practice with less expensive lumber (plywood vs. cherry)!

I had hoped to straighten up the shop a bit as well, but just couldn't get myself motivated. I have been fighting some sort of bug for the better part of the weekend. Maybe next weekend...

My weekend was pretty long . A drywaller saw a post I made here about my difficulties finding a drywall contractor that would actually call me back. He offered to come this weekend before starting a big job Tue. So, I had to bust butt to get ready for him. I had been slacking since I didn't have someone to drywall. So, lots of wiring, plumbing (especially after shooting a nail through a pipe), duct work, nailers, and cleanup. Drywall is now done (wooohooo). Spent part of yesterday at Lowes picking paint, flooring, bathroom fixtures, etc. Can't wait to get this finished as my shop is now storage for all the furniture that goes in the other side of the basement.
    Jay St. Peter

It was a nice holiday weekend with quite a bit of time in the shop...or at least passing through it, over it and around it. On Saturday, I installed a door in the upper level of the shop building to provide easy outside access. I have a lot of cabinetry and furniture to build for our addition and the interior stairwell is nearly impossible to pass large objects. The door will allow for that as well as making it easy to store lumber and other materials upstairs to get them out of the shop...better space utilization. It also means I can finally get rid of a lot of junk that's been living and accumulating up there since we moved in back in 1999... I also did some more shop cleaning...both the "annual deep clean" as well as getting ready for a new toyl.

On New Year's Day, I did a little quickie woodworking project...a shelf-pin hole jig a la NYW.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Since Saturday the 23rd...Mostly family time. The LOML and I flew to Illinois.....spent Christmas Eve and Christmas with my MIL. On Tuesday the 26th drove to southern Indiana and spent a couple of days with my Mom. Back to Illinois. On Friday, the 29 I drove to Mendota, IL where I had the good fortune and some pleasureable time in the shop of Creeker Frank Kobilsec. Frank turned a wedding gift curly maple platter. I learned a lot watching this talented turner. He was an excellent host! We flew home on the 31st and spent yesterday with family especially our great granddaughter. She, her parents and her paternal grand parents are leaving today for a month's stay in Florida.

Lot's of family time!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I knocked down two interior walls in my shop and rewired for a ceiling mounted heater and an octopus light. Now I can get light to the scrollsaw from 6 directions...no more shadows! Yipee!

The heater is nice too. I was getting tired of scrolling with gloves on =]

Marcus

I got about 2 1/2 days of shop time over the weekend. Must be a record for me. I got a good start on some "toy trays" for my little boy. SWMBO came up with this idea of three stacking trays each 8" deep. They can be filled with toys but only the top one will be accessible. Then we can rotate the toys that are in play at any given time.

I'm using 12mm BB ply. The corners are joined with box joints and the bottoms fit into grooves plowed in the sides and ends. I still have to cut the handle openings, sand and glue up the parts.

I used the WoodRat for the box joints. With the new Digital Scale attached, the alignment was absolutely perfect on every joint. It was a ciinch to make repeatable cuts every time. Actually, if I do this sort of thing again, I'll probably induce a wee bit of runout at the bit. The joints are just a hair too snug.

A bit of family time but mostly kitchen cabinet work. Finished installing the last cabinet last night at about 11:30pm. I will put the rest of the doors and drawer fronts on tonight so I can slow down a bit. After that, all that is left is trimming them out (kickspace, crown, etc), making two glass doors and touchup.

Hope everyone had a nice new year.

I was sick all weekend and the shop is cold, so I didn't get out there at all. I did order a couple of bandsaw blades from Highland. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Woodslicer resaws on my Grizzly 14".

Get well soon Dan.
    My weekend is still going on, spent most of the last couple of days in the garage trying to finish the TS extensions and installing the buddies.
    Today is off with Beasty looking for golf clubs for her, then back to the garage to try abd finish the extensions, one is done, and the hinged one that will attach to it is only a hinge away from done, then to try and figure what to coat these with, the water based poly and wax isn't working quite so well..

Hopefully a picture of the TS and my second TS sled, fist one is in the scrap pile...

P1000092 (600 x 450).jpg

P1000101 (600 x 450).jpg

Al

P1000091 (600 x 450).jpg

Oooops here's the sled...dam newbies.....

Al

Well first off my holiday weekend started on December 16 and ran through yesterday, so it was a little long, but not long enough.

I built a bar for my brother's basement finish project. The entire thing was built using the Festool collection. Man do I sure love that MFT and ATF55. I'll shoot some pics when it is all done and share.

I also ripped out the closet carpet and shelving for our master. Laid new Jatoba floors, repaired the drywall, built new closet organization system (again the Festool stuff proved to be real valuable) and painted. I have to install the new base trim and paint it, but needed one day to rest up before coming back to work.

Spent quality time with my son and other family when not working on stuff.

Also got lots of stuff ready and delivered to Goodwill.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I made major progress on the basement. All of the lighting was tested and made live and about 90% of the drywall is done. I still have a 6 ft section to complete. I used my nifty dremel circle cutting attachment to cut out for the recessed light cans with amazing accuracy. I think I have 3-4 of the 20 odd lights where I have to do mudding.

I expect to have all of the taping and mudding done this weekend with paint done by the end of next... then flooring and trim... I think the basement may be done by end of January!!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.