Thread: I need education: Double-double dovetails vs. inlaid dovetails

I need education: Double-double dovetails vs. inlaid dovetails

Recent threads on dovetailed projects (elsewhere) highlighted to me that I need to learn the terminology of the Incra system.

1. I believe that the Incra double dovetail is the corner post that appears as a bow tie when viewed from an angle - exactly opposing tails. Is this correct?

2. As far as I know, no other dovetail jig can make the double dovetail. Is this correct?

3. Are "double-double dovetails" the Incra-specific inlaid double dovetails?

4. To me, the inlaid dovetails in a "normal" dovetailed box, for example, are just that - inlaid, not double. Is there some other terminology? I am not able to locate anything else.

An Internet search showed a multitude of variations on dovetail design, as you can expect. But it is the terminology specific to the Incra dovetails that I am trying to nail down, as it appears that no one else has claimed the double-double name.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Al, I'm sorry but I can't help you with exact terminology. I think you can do these joints with at least one other dovetailer. Here's an example done with the WoodRat.

Thanks, Dave. You are right, the Rat does a nice job with the inlaid dovetails.

But what I am really after is the terminology of the dovetails that have the appearance of bow ties. I interpret the term "double dovetail" to mean the different (?) look of the Incra dovetails, which appear like bow ties, prior to making them inlaid. Then, when inlaid, Incra seems to call the inlaid dovetails in their style the "double-double dovetails", I think.

Did I totally screw up this???

I hope that some Incra owners can confirm this, as I cannot find a source anywhere else except the Incra web site and Incra-related publications.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    ...How about dovetailed keys? Is this what you're after?

These could be done with any router table and a jig to hold the box.
    Thanks, Dave. I am really after the Incra nomenclature for what I think is their flagship dovetail, which looks like a bow tie, but is not a keyed item. It is literally made to BE the dovetail joinery in the corner of the box, as in the photo here.

Al

I'm pretty sure that is the double double cornerpost dovetail in that pic. I'm doing one right now so I think I have the name right.

According to the Incra manual the joint shown in the photo, is the Corner Post Double Dovetail. Without the inlay is called the Corner Post Dovetail.

Brian

Thanks a bunch to all who responded! Now I will be able to understand and interpret things a little better when others mention the Incra terminology. This has been very helpful!

Al