Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new sled with upgrades....

My new sled with upgrades....

Well.... I thought this previous sled was everything I ever needed..

Well...... it turns out there were some further options that I wanted / needed, so I made this newest version a couple weeks ago.

I'm still using a ZCI system that I incorporated in to the last one. Being able to use the sled for dado cuts has been very handy. I have inserts for 1/8", 1/2", and 3/4". The only problem I had was some tearout on the exit end of the piece. After making a dado cut - the fence no longer had a zero clearance. In this new sled, I made a split fence system that allows me to adjust for blade thickness as well. You can see in this pic, the 1/2" dado insert is installed and the fence is set acordingly.

I also began to cut through the safetyblock of my old sled. Those small bumps of the blade add up after time and finally penetrate the block. With it glued on, there was little to do except cut it off and apply a new one. Now, I've gone to an adjustable block. If I start to cut through it, I can slide it over to a fresh spot. Once it's all worn out, I can simply remove it and make a new one to slip on.

Also..... not wanting to make a HUGE sled that took up a bunch of room and weighed a ton, I usually keep the stop block at about 24" max cut. Finding myself wishing for wider cutting capabilities I also added a telescoping stop block system to this new one.. I now have standard 24" to the left of the blade or anywhere up to 36" with the stop block extended. A simple allen bolt through the top of the fence locks the telescoping fence in place.

The last upgrade I made was to add a removable miter fence. I have an incra 3000 so I'm not trying to add a precision miter or anything, but for irregular pieces or when I want to make sure the cutoff stays put - this attachment should come in handy. Simple enough to add, I burried a threaded insert under the formica for one end, and a T slot cutter with circle jig made a nice track for the other end.

Finally...... here's a couple over all shots. Thanks for taking a look.

Red face Nice job!

Dayum...that's a piece of furniture, not a jig! Nice work and thanks for showing it!
    Christ! Seven years of college, down the drain! John Belushi

That is an amazing sled! My 2 sleds are simple an accurate and I love them....you have the ultimate sled there!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Where's the T1 connection?

WOW! I can only imagine the junk projects you can turn out with that rascal!!!
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Doug Lindley Guest
    I see what you mean about your first sled, who would ever want to use that thing . Seriously, that new sled is a beautiful piece of equipment, certainly looks like a marketable item. Great work.

Doug

Made this one for a friend.... Course, he didn't get the updated version. I had to make one for myslef first.

Thumbs up Awesome!

Very Nice!!

Definitely gets added to my jigs-to-build list!

Thanks for sharing,
    -Mike

Now that's just too purdy

to use! Best one I've seen yet Mark! Ah,, beings as were buds,, where's mine????
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

What an incredibly well-thought through and executed sled system! VERY kewel! Thanks for posting that, Mark. I agree with Ron...the "best" I've seen yet, and that pretty much includes the expensive commercial ones, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

JUNK, JUNK, JUNK, MARK !!!!

Please send it to me and I will burn up that sucker!!!!!!!!!

Gotcha, I hope . Super sled. I wish I had the time to make one. How much for a new one?????? Shipped to 64505. Just plain old hardwoods, nothing too fancy.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Wow! I wish my furniture projects turned out that nice!

Thanks for posting.
    -Jeff

Mark,
    That is great! I never would have thought of the telescoping stop block system. Can you please explain how you did that?

Thanks
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Marzluf
    Made this one for a friend.... Course, he didn't get the updated version. I had to make one for myslef first.

Dang gone it, I have one that looks exactly like this one! I even have the incra fence system on my saw. And, as much as I hate to admit this, I have a cabinet with those floral designs on the sliding doors.

WAIT!! Is that mine? Why, I believe it is! I'd better go check the shop to see if its still there!

Kiddin' aside, its a super sled. I love it. I told Mark the only way it comes out of my shop is in trade for one of his new ones or to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Brad

Thanks everyone.

It really is a joy to have in the shop. The telescoping end is an incra scale t-track that i fit into the end of the fence. First I cut a dado in the bottom of the fence. After that, it's just a matter of fitting a filler piece for underneath the track.

It may be showing up in a popular magazine in the next couple months. Can't give you the name but I can give you a hint. FWW.

Not sure if they'll publish it or not, but they said they really liked it, that the editors were going to discuss it at their next meeting, and they would be in touch within a month. We'll see.......