Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Woo Hoo! It's Here!

First post . . .

I found Sawmill while searching for a review of the Palmgren. I'm glad I did. I'm hoping to hear some of your impressions of the lathe before I order mine. It sure seems like an informative, friendly and respectful corner of the web here. Good luck to you all on the new lathes!
    You, who are on the road, must have a code
    that you can live by
    And, so, become yourself, because the past

is just a good bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylo Tomassi
    I found Sawmill while searching for a review of the Palmgren. I'm glad I did. I'm hoping to hear some of your impressions of the lathe before I order mine. It sure seems like an informative, friendly and respectful corner of the web here. Good luck to you all on the new lathes!
    Here is a picture of mine and so far I think it is very good deal. Sure beats the heck out of my old harbor freight cheapy.

Hi, I'm new to the form and have a question about the Palmgren lathe. I want to mount a Vega Duplicator on one I am considering purchasing and need to know where the motor is located. Is is beneath the headstock or is it located to the back side? The head of the duplicator needs to be able to pass along the back side of the headstock when the duplicator is mounted on the back side of the lathe. My old Delta has the motor located on the back side of the headstock which prevents me from mounting the Vega on the back side of the lathe. For those who are curious on why I want to mount the Vega on the back.. if the bed of the Vega duplicator is mounted on the back of the lathe, then you can use the banjo and tool rests on the front side of the lathe. Also, you put the cutting head in upside down when its on the back side and all the chip are thrown down at the floor rather than being sprayed upward and all over the shop. Much neater!

We have a small production shop and make culinary tools. You can see the old Delta lathe we're using for the Vega on our site in the Travels section.

www.culinaryrev.com

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tom

I guess the picture didn't post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rylo, Tom,
    Welcome! Glad you found your way here.

Okay, just about got the table done. Should finish it up today. Can someone tell me what the best distance to the edge of the table the first bolt measurement should be at? Gonna need a gorilla to hoist that motor up, so I want to make sure the outside swing is right.

Well, I got my lathe yesterday. I got worried when the driver opened the lift gate and noticed the box was torn up. I inspected it closely and everything looked okay. Today, I was cleaning the lathe up and noticed a defect on the bed. I couldn't tell if there was a defect in the casting or someone had tried to weld it up. Called Plamgren and talked to the customer service about it. They had me send a picture and immediately told me they were sending a new bed. I asked when it would arrive and they said it would be in within a week. I asked if they could expedite the shipping and they agreed to send it 2nd day air. I was pleased with the response although it would have been better if they could have shipped it without the defect. Guess in the end, I'm happy.

Now to build a cabinet for the lathe.